Re: [Genealogy Research Club] UGH! I should've known better....

  • Naomah
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 6, 2007
      I bought a flash drive to use for back up of my files (not just my genealogy files). My older computer would no co-operate. In researching that glitch, I learned that the u s b port was for input only, as it was such new technology at the time it was made. I can probably use it with a printer but not much else. It is an old Dell and they haven't offered support on it in several years.
      When I get a new laptop in the next year or so I will not be able to transfer my files my self. A p c shop will have to do it. I have a CD drive and a floppy drive. At this time I use the floppy drive to back up my gedcoms and I have them on line too. BUT, the new computers don't come with a floppy drive anymore.
      For that reason, I was thinking about using online storage, too. Then I could download my old documents to my new computer without a middleman.
      Any thoughts on this ?

      I know that Eastman's Newsletter of 11 January 2007 mentioned 171 online file storage services.

      Thanks

      Naomi Lee (SMITH of MI & Upper NY) (MORRISON from TN) (CARDER from GA) BLACK for TX & SC,
      also researching WINGATE, AERNI, ZELUFF and more

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 7, 2007
        This somewhat off topic, but have you concidered just buying a cd-
        burner and back up to a data cd. There is one available at
        NewEgg.com for 17.49 and works with windows 98. I'm guessing if the
        processor in your old computeris over 300mhz, it would work for your
        backups of your genealogy gedcoms and ftw files. I have been backing
        up mine that way for years. The disks are cheap and a lot more
        reliable than floppys. And the burner is fairly easy to install.You
        just put it in place of your old cd rom. And it comes with NeroBurn
        software, so you don't have to buy anything extra in software. The
        link is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?
        Item=N82E16827136058

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Naomah" <Naomah@...>
        wrote:

        > I bought a flash drive to use for back up of my files (not just my
        genealogy files). My older computer would no co-operate. In
        researching that glitch, I learned that the u s b port was for input
        only, as it was such new technology at the time it was made. I can
        probably use it with a printer but not much else. It is an old Dell
        and they haven't offered support on it in several years.
        > When I get a new laptop in the next year or so I will not be able
        to transfer my files my self. A p c shop will have to do it. I
        have a CD drive and a floppy drive. At this time I use the floppy
        drive to back up my gedcoms and I have them on line too. BUT, the
        new computers don't come with a floppy drive anymore.
        > For that reason, I was thinking about using online storage, too.
        Then I could download my old documents to my new computer without a
        middleman.
        > Any thoughts on this ?
        >
        > I know that Eastman's Newsletter of 11 January 2007 mentioned 171
        online file storage services.

        > Thanks
        >
        > Naomi Lee (SMITH of MI & Upper NY) (MORRISON from TN) (CARDER from
        GA) BLACK for TX & SC,
        > also researching WINGATE, AERNI, ZELUFF and more

      • Lucinda
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 7, 2007
          This is a great back up service.

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 9, 2007
            New computers may not come with floppy drives BUT you could buy an external floppy to hook up to your new computer and go that route. That is how I got around not having floppy drive in new laptop.
            Darlene