Seeking Info MD, 1800s

  • BranwynBreeze@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2007
      Looking for a few families in Maryland. I am assuming I have the proper folk
      due to "family names", my uncle is planning a trip to MD in near future to
      verify what I and he has, but any leads would be super! Main person in search
      is Gertrude T Snook born 8 Aug 1888, died March 1975 in Norwich, CT. "T" was
      for Tensfield, supposedly her mother's maiden name.

      Basic info:

      Tensfield, Charles M, DOB aprox 1830-1831-MD
      Tensfield, Gertrude, DOB " 1840, NY (Here's a discrepancy, a
      source has her born in MD, records say NY)

      They later had daughter Edith, which records support, additionally carried
      other names in my family line post 1900. If I have line correct, she later
      married a George Snook, who I believe was son of Peter, retired Miller, born in
      PA aprox 1815.

      Edith (Tensfield) Snook, was born about 1875. She had a number of children,
      of which my dog ate my record-BTW, can trace that dog's "pedigree", while a
      bit fragmented, to early 1800s. Going from memory, children were:
      Edith Mae, AKA Mimie-oldest
      Ella, born about 1884
      Anna- cannot remember
      Charles, who died in childhood'
      Gertrude T, 1888
      Eugenia later known as Jean Free
      Walter-1897

      Edith Tensfield Snook (or whomever our GGmother was) died while Walter was
      still school age in trolley accident or so family history goes. We are most
      curious to find out when that occured. Charles Snook, her husband abandoned
      family shortly after that and they were then raised by Edith May "Mamie"). Do
      not know what became of him after he left. Mamie did manage to do quite well for
      herself even if census show her as servant or housekeeper, she inherited
      from her employer and traveled world with his sister.

      I cannot remember if Mamie married, I doubt it, Walter was "gassed" during
      WW1 and lived off and on Veterans Hospital or with Mamie. Ella could be a witch
      and lived with whichever relative was not mad at her at time, died
      unmarried.

      Tensfields seemingly fell off face of map by 1870 in MD. One daughter,
      Eugenia, I assume, again, according to records became a servant by 1880 census
      and I lost her after that. She married perhaps.

      Thanks for any assistance or guidance in my search.
      Linda

      http://www.aol.com