Re: [Genealogy Research Club] UGH! I should've known better....

  • BustersRecipes.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 5, 2007
      You can also upload your gedcom files and host them for free at Gedcoms.com.
      Heather

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2007
        Karen
        I'm down on online storage, but do as you will. For $19.95 plus tax
        you can get a 1 gig Memorex flash drive. It loads and unloads like a
        removal disk and you can code it for security. Just use folders or
        different names for your files.
        Here too if you copy your files they will be usable anytimeor the
        same with a gedcom. A backup has to be restored to the same computer
        that it came from.
        A GEDCOM is more usable in case of program failure as well.
        >Well Poo! I am so frustrated with GenCircles.com today. I uploaded my
        >GEDCOM
        >to search on their site for 'free' & now I'm locked out with the
        >teasing ad to
        >subscribe for a year to see the matches. YUCKO! Now they can use my
        >info & I
        >can't get to anything. just thought I'd let ya know....live & learn
        >huh :o)
        >
        >I was wondering if anyone here has been using XDrive.com? I cn't
        >recall who
        >posted this site....but it looks like a great option for storing
        >files. And if
        >you would mind sharing what the 'loop holes' or suprises might be
        >coming from
        >the free offer they have of storage space. Is it somekind of Picture,
        >Family
        >Tree filing method or just the online storage space?
        >
        >Thanks so much!
        >Karen Farrer
        >Pittsburg Texas USA

        Jon P Czarowitz
        http://www.geocities.com/jonczar
        Reply to: jonczar@...
        Low Cost Dial Up Copper.net
        Promotional Code 5343632
      • Jon P Czarowitz
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2007
          I bought Memorex because of the name and at Staples because of the
          price. There are larger and smaller flash drives, but the price was
          better (for now) on the 1gig drive.

          >Well Poo! I am so frustrated with GenCircles.com today. I uploaded my
          >GEDCOM
          >to search on their site for 'free' & now I'm locked out with the
          >teasing ad to
          >subscribe for a year to see the matches. YUCKO! Now they can use my
          >info & I
          >can't get to anything. just thought I'd let ya know....live & learn
          >huh :o)
          >
          >I was wondering if anyone here has been using XDrive.com? I cn't
          >recall who
          >posted this site....but it looks like a great option for storing
          >files. And if
          >you would mind sharing what the 'loop holes' or suprises might be
          >coming from
          >the free offer they have of storage space. Is it somekind of Picture,
          >Family
          >Tree filing method or just the online storage space?
          >
          >Thanks so much!
          >Karen Farrer
          >Pittsburg Texas USA

          Jon P Czarowitz
          http://www.geocities.com/jonczar
          Reply to: jonczar@...
          Low Cost Dial Up Copper.net
          Promotional Code 5343632
        • Naomah
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 6, 2007
            I bought a flash drive to use for back up of my files (not just my genealogy files). My older computer would no co-operate. In researching that glitch, I learned that the u s b port was for input only, as it was such new technology at the time it was made. I can probably use it with a printer but not much else. It is an old Dell and they haven't offered support on it in several years.
            When I get a new laptop in the next year or so I will not be able to transfer my files my self. A p c shop will have to do it. I have a CD drive and a floppy drive. At this time I use the floppy drive to back up my gedcoms and I have them on line too. BUT, the new computers don't come with a floppy drive anymore.
            For that reason, I was thinking about using online storage, too. Then I could download my old documents to my new computer without a middleman.
            Any thoughts on this ?

            I know that Eastman's Newsletter of 11 January 2007 mentioned 171 online file storage services.

            Thanks

            Naomi Lee (SMITH of MI & Upper NY) (MORRISON from TN) (CARDER from GA) BLACK for TX & SC,
            also researching WINGATE, AERNI, ZELUFF and more

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 7, 2007
              This somewhat off topic, but have you concidered just buying a cd-
              burner and back up to a data cd. There is one available at
              NewEgg.com for 17.49 and works with windows 98. I'm guessing if the
              processor in your old computeris over 300mhz, it would work for your
              backups of your genealogy gedcoms and ftw files. I have been backing
              up mine that way for years. The disks are cheap and a lot more
              reliable than floppys. And the burner is fairly easy to install.You
              just put it in place of your old cd rom. And it comes with NeroBurn
              software, so you don't have to buy anything extra in software. The
              link is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?
              Item=N82E16827136058

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Naomah" <Naomah@...>
              wrote:

              > I bought a flash drive to use for back up of my files (not just my
              genealogy files). My older computer would no co-operate. In
              researching that glitch, I learned that the u s b port was for input
              only, as it was such new technology at the time it was made. I can
              probably use it with a printer but not much else. It is an old Dell
              and they haven't offered support on it in several years.
              > When I get a new laptop in the next year or so I will not be able
              to transfer my files my self. A p c shop will have to do it. I
              have a CD drive and a floppy drive. At this time I use the floppy
              drive to back up my gedcoms and I have them on line too. BUT, the
              new computers don't come with a floppy drive anymore.
              > For that reason, I was thinking about using online storage, too.
              Then I could download my old documents to my new computer without a
              middleman.
              > Any thoughts on this ?
              >
              > I know that Eastman's Newsletter of 11 January 2007 mentioned 171
              online file storage services.

              > Thanks
              >
              > Naomi Lee (SMITH of MI & Upper NY) (MORRISON from TN) (CARDER from
              GA) BLACK for TX & SC,
              > also researching WINGATE, AERNI, ZELUFF and more

            • Lucinda
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 7, 2007
                This is a great back up service.

                and you have no control in this. Use at your own risk.

                Karenzstuff@... wrote:

                > Well Poo! I am so frustrated with GenCircles.com today. I uploaded my
                > GEDCOM
                > to search on their site for 'free' & now I'm locked out with the
                > teasing ad to
                > subscribe for a year to see the matches. YUCKO! Now they can use my
                > info & I
                > can't get to anything. just thought I'd let ya know....live & learn
                > huh :o)
                >
                > I was wondering if anyone here has been using XDrive.com? I cn't
                > recall who
                > posted this site....but it looks like a great option for storing
                > files. And if
                > you would mind sharing what the 'loop holes' or suprises might be
                > coming from
                > the free offer they have of storage space. Is it somekind of Picture,
                > Family
                > Tree filing method or just the online storage space?
                >
                > Thanks so much!
                > Karen Farrer
                > Pittsburg Texas USA

              • Darlene Buchanan