Hi Karen :o)Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Genealogy Programs

  • Karenzstuff@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 21, 2007
      Hi Karen,
      I know how you feel when it comes to computer crashing! It feels like someone
      walked right into your house & took your most vauled things, placed them all
      in a glass box on main street so you could remember what they all looked like
      BUT you can't get them back!

      I've had the same experience by not burning off or backing up family
      pictures. It's Painful to think of all that was lost!

      I wanted to ask you a question about not loading your info to programs. If
      you get the chance would you mind sharing how you are storing your found info
      now?

      I'm still printing off my hard copies from the searches I've done on
      Ancestry.com to relocate on Roots Magic.com as well as my physical files here at home.

      TIA
      Karen Farrer
      Pittsburg Texas USA

    • Karen Minnemeyer
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 23, 2007
        Hello Karen!
        I currently am using a program called Legacy. I am using the free version which can be download from their website. I will eventually purchase the Deluxe version because of the publishing abilities it has.
        I have everything from my original research on paper. A great deal of it was passed down to me from my grandmother and aunt. I have since entered most of it into the Legacy program which asks if you wish to back up your file each time you exit. I do automatically. I also have three web sites with family trees, 2 are on Tribal Pages and a new site that I am working on which my son set up for me.
        I also have back ups of my family files on cds. And I have scanned hundreds of photos and documents which are backed up on cds,
        When I feel that I have a solid and well documented family file I print it out (using Legacy) and put the pages along with documents and photos into acid free page protectors and then into a binder. I have a large binder for each of my four main family lines.
        Sorry it took so long to reply to your email. If you have any more questions, just ask.
        Karen

        Karen E. Minnemeyer
        kamiki1@...

      • Jon P Czarowitz
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 25, 2007
          Sounds like you have better control than I do. I just started many
          years ago before a lot of the good stuff was available. In trying to
          go from all paper to computer usage was hard and I have made a lot of
          mistakes. Only now am I able to get at least part of it into a more
          usable form with backups. With the availability of additional
          researchers on my lines, I have a lot more data than I can readily
          absorb rapidly. Took on too many lines at once and spread to
          connecting lines too quickly.
          Glad Legacy is working so well for you and you certainly have things
          under control. Just wish I did. My 'pushing'RootsMagic was only for
          the ease of use for the newcomer and their split screen ability for
          file comparison. Both have great features for the researcher.
          Jon

          > I currently am using a program called Legacy. I am using the
          >free version which can be download from their website. I will
          >eventually purchase the Deluxe version because of the publishing
          >abilities it has.
          > I have everything from my original research on paper. A great
          >deal of it was passed down to me from my grandmother and aunt. I
          >have since entered most of it into the Legacy program which asks if
          >you wish to back up your file each time you exit. I do
          >automatically. I also have three web sites with family trees, 2 are
          >on Tribal Pages and a new site that I am working on which my son set
          >up for me.
          > I also have back ups of my family files on cds. And I have
          >scanned hundreds of photos and documents which are backed up on cds,
          > When I feel that I have a solid and well documented family file
          >I print it out (using Legacy) and put the pages along with documents
          >and photos into acid free page protectors and then into a binder. I
          >have a large binder for each of my four main family lines.
          > Sorry it took so long to reply to your email. If you have any
          >more questions, just ask.
          >Karen
          >

          >Karen E. Minnemeyer
          >kamiki1@...