Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Family TreeMaker program

  • kate
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 10, 2007
      heya Karen-
      I have all my stuff on a database on my computer, but I also have old fashioned paper records, in case the computer crashes. :)
      I'm in Charlottesville, Va, but of course all my family came from Pennsylvania, Rhode Island or Texas, and further back, England Wales and Germany.

      :)
      Kate

      Karenzstuff@... wrote: Hi Suzanne,
      That would be wonderful. But I just use Ancestry.com to hold my online info
      in one place. Is that bad? I'm nowhere near the volumn of work you've done, but
      need an online place to put my info. Am I on the wrong track?

      Thanks for all the direction. great topic to consider. It is helpful for
      everyone...new or old :o)

      Karen Farrer

    • lotusloversau
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 10, 2007
        Karen,

        If you can find a website to put your work up on, you will find that
        relatives seem to fall out of the wood work.
        I put my information up on ancestry.com and had so many emails sent
        to me it was amazing.

        I'm swapping information with a cousin that found me and a man who
        had an ancestor marry into the Ridgway family. When this happens to
        you, you will have enough information to sink a battle ship.

        Imagine how much information that you have to check. Eek!

        I'm still checking information and it keeps growing. Yes I find
        mistakes.

        While I think of it, when looking on the familysearch.org website in
        the IGI, remember to check the information. The records taken from
        Parish records are easy to spot. They start with a C for
        christenings, M for marriages etc. I just click on the batch no. and
        look at all the names. They have them spelled in different ways.
        Usually you can see other ancestors born in the same area about the
        same time.
        Where it says "Source", just click on that and you will see if it
        comes from a Parish record or patron submission. I don't like to use
        patron submissions and that is when I go to the FHL and order a film
        so I can check the information.

        Happy hunting. :) (You too Suzanne)

        Lin

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Karenzstuff@... wrote:

        > Hi Suzanne,
        > That would be wonderful. But I just use Ancestry.com to hold my
        online info
        > in one place. Is that bad? I'm nowhere near the volumn of work
        you've done, but
        > need an online place to put my info. Am I on the wrong track?
        >
        > Thanks for all the direction. great topic to consider. It is
        helpful for
        > everyone...new or old :o)
        >
        > Karen Farrer

      • Suzanne
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 11, 2007
          Hi Karen. Have you used the "invite family" feature on Ancestry.com
          for the family trees? I'm just wondering if when you do that if it
          makes then subscribe or register for the website before they can view
          it. It looks like I can upload my file to Ancestry if I wanted to
          and work it from there

          The one thing I don't like is how much their fees are. Its
          expensive. At least with Family Tree Maker you purchase it once and
          thats it. And depending on which version you purchase, you get a
          free subscription to Ancestry as well.

          I do have some volume, but unfortunately the majority of it isn't for
          my direct lines of my family. The majority is branches of a
          relative's spouses' family

          Suzanne

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Karenzstuff@... wrote:

          > Hi Suzanne,
          > That would be wonderful. But I just use Ancestry.com to hold my
          online info
          > in one place. Is that bad? I'm nowhere near the volumn of work
          you've done, but
          > need an online place to put my info. Am I on the wrong track?
          >
          > Thanks for all the direction. great topic to consider. It is
          helpful for
          > everyone...new or old :o)
          >
          > Karen Farrer

        • Jon P Czarowitz
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 11, 2007
            Karen
            Online storage is ok, but not safe to rely on it not to get lost. If
            their server goes down, you could lose it all. At least keep a copy
            of all material in another offline location. Also all your info
            online can be read by just anyone and can be subject to theft. I hope
            you don't expose living people to identy theft online. If so make a
            copy of your info and the program can block the living info. You will
            want to be able to view the living to share with those you can
            contact.
            Family Tree Maker, Roots, PAF, Legacy are all good programs, but I
            prefer Rootsmagic. There are free versions of several of these with
            low cost
            enhanced versions available. Features vary so don't hesitate to look
            at each for those features you need or might need in the future.
            An aside here to tell you about a Vista feature that might be
            incompatable with your Word program. They are going to the industry
            standard, but their old versions of WORD is NOT standard. Learn more
            if you plan to get Vista.
            ---

            >That would be wonderful. But I just use Ancestry.com to hold my
            >online info
            >in one place. Is that bad? I'm nowhere near the volumn of work you've
            >done, but
            >need an online place to put my info. Am I on the wrong track?
            >
            >Thanks for all the direction. great topic to consider. It is helpful
            >for
            >everyone...new or old :o)
            >
            >Karen Farrer

            Jon P Czarowitz
            http://www.geocities.com/jonczar
            Reply to: jonczar@...
            Low Cost Dial Up Copper.net
            Promotional Code 5343632
          • Jon P Czarowitz
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 11, 2007
              Suzanne
              I use Family Tree Maker, but offline. Not sure if the online version
              allows you to download a GEDCOM. You should find out before it gets
              any bigger. If it doesn't let you use a GEDCOM, you would have a lot
              of retyping to do if you went offline, however, I think it will. You
              should keep a GEDCOM as a backup in case of problems or you want to
              do something to your info offline.
              When you get toi 15000 names, it is harder to work with. Good Hunting!
              ---

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 11, 2007
                I uploaded my Gedcom file to Ancestry a few hours ago, or at least
                what I have done. It isn't finished yet of course. It's suppose to
                be ready in 3-5 days. It's also being uploaded to Genealogy.com but
                from what I read on their website it wont be included in the World
                Tree submissions if there are too many errors.

                I'm simply finding additional extended branches on familysearch and
                adding them to our tree. There are definitely some errors. such as
                the age difference between the parent and the child. Unless of
                course they really were 11 years old when they got married

                Believe it or not thru an unrelated extended branch we can go back to
                Robert I, King of Scotland. thats not too bad, but then the tree I
                connected to traces back his family to 0160 AD (yes the # is correct)

                Suzanne

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, kate <chrismomxyz@...>
                wrote:

                > heya Karen-
                > I have all my stuff on a database on my computer, but I also have
                old fashioned paper records, in case the computer crashes. :)
                > I'm in Charlottesville, Va, but of course all my family came from
                Pennsylvania, Rhode Island or Texas, and further back, England Wales
                and Germany.

                > :)
                > Kate
                >
                > Karenzstuff@... wrote: Hi Suzanne,
                > That would be wonderful. But I just use Ancestry.com to hold my
                online info
                > in one place. Is that bad? I'm nowhere near the volumn of work
                you've done, but
                > need an online place to put my info. Am I on the wrong track?
                >
                > Thanks for all the direction. great topic to consider. It is
                helpful for
                > everyone...new or old :o)
                >
                > Karen Farrer

              • Karen Minnemeyer
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 12, 2007
                  Just a note of caution to anyone using Ancestry.com or Family Tree Maker as their genealogy program. Do not find out the hard way, as I did a few years ago - once you have uploaded the information you have input on your research that information becomes the property of Ancestry. It can be used on their various searches which require a subscription and even included on CD's which they then sell. In the case of Family Tree Maker, after having a computer problem (actually a Family Tree Maker program problem) I needed to retrieve the information that I had submitted and was unable to do so unless I paid a fee. My hard research, given to them to use (and make money from) was no longer mine and I would have had to pay to download it. I immediately uninstalled Family Tree Maker and Ancestry's family tree program from my computer.

                  I went with the free version of Legacy which I find to be easy to use, with wonderful features. If I want my information to appear on the web I use tribalpages.com. I have complete control of the information but it is also available to others who might be researching any of my surnames.

                  Unless they have changed their policies in the last couple of years, I find this unacceptable use of my research information. Just thought I would send out a word of caution.
                  Karen

                  Karen E. Minnemeyer
                  kamiki1@...

                • lotusloversau
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 12, 2007
                    I noticed that a number of people on that site have deleted their
                    family trees.

                    Oops! I did that once and oh dear, I can do it again. I think that
                    I may 'accidentally' and 'Oops' delete my tree again.
                    I get annoyed when I think about it.
                    I felt sorry for them and put it back up again but not this time.

                    I'll just put it in Ancestral File which is on familysearch.org
                    They don't charge people for information.

                    Lin

                    PS The PAF program is so easy to use. I don't think that I would
                    ever bother to use Family Tree Maker, even if I do have the CD. It's
                    very complicated and fussy. No offence!!

                    --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Karen Minnemeyer
                    <kamiki1@...> wrote:

                    > Just a note of caution to anyone using Ancestry.com or Family Tree
                    Maker as their genealogy program. Do not find out the hard way, as I
                    did a few years ago - once you have uploaded the information you have
                    input on your research that information becomes the property of
                    Ancestry. It can be used on their various searches which require a
                    subscription and even included on CD's which they then sell. In the
                    case of Family Tree Maker, after having a computer problem (actually
                    a Family Tree Maker program problem) I needed to retrieve the
                    information that I had submitted and was unable to do so unless I
                    paid a fee. My hard research, given to them to use (and make money
                    from) was no longer mine and I would have had to pay to download it.
                    I immediately uninstalled Family Tree Maker and Ancestry's family
                    tree program from my computer.

                    > I went with the free version of Legacy which I find to be easy to
                    use, with wonderful features. If I want my information to appear on
                    the web I use tribalpages.com. I have complete control of the
                    information but it is also available to others who might be
                    researching any of my surnames.

                    > Unless they have changed their policies in the last couple of
                    years, I find this unacceptable use of my research information. Just
                    thought I would send out a word of caution.
                    > Karen
                    >

                    > Karen E. Minnemeyer
                    > kamiki1@...

                  • Phil D'Antona
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 13, 2007
                      Hi Karen,

                      Good point. I'm curious -- how many members have taken advantage of
                      some of the great "open-source" (i.e. free and non-copyrighted)
                      genealogy programs out there?

                      I know there are a few -- some more popular than others -- but I
                      haven't had a chance to try all of them.

                      Anyone have any feedback?

                      -- Phil D'Antona

                      <kamiki1@...> wrote:

                      > Just a note of caution to anyone using Ancestry.com or Family Tree
                      Maker as their genealogy program. Do not find out the hard way, as I
                      did a few years ago - once you have uploaded the information you have
                      input on your research that information becomes the property of
                      Ancestry. It can be used on their various searches which require a
                      subscription and even included on CD's which they then sell. In the
                      case of Family Tree Maker, after having a computer problem (actually
                      a Family Tree Maker program problem) I needed to retrieve the
                      information that I had submitted and was unable to do so unless I
                      paid a fee. My hard research, given to them to use (and make money
                      from) was no longer mine and I would have had to pay to download it.
                      I immediately uninstalled Family Tree Maker and Ancestry's family
                      tree program from my computer.

                      > I went with the free version of Legacy which I find to be easy to
                      use, with wonderful features. If I want my information to appear on
                      the web I use tribalpages.com. I have complete control of the
                      information but it is also available to others who might be
                      researching any of my surnames.

                      > Unless they have changed their policies in the last couple of
                      years, I find this unacceptable use of my research information. Just
                      thought I would send out a word of caution.
                      > Karen
                      >

                      > Karen E. Minnemeyer
                      > kamiki1@...

                    • kate
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 14, 2007
                        hey all-
                        I use a linux program called Gramps, its free, and they update it every so often. Its easy to use and has nothing to do with ancestry.com. :)

                        http://gramps-project.org/

                        Kate

                        Phil D'Antona <phil.dantona@...> wrote: Hi Karen,

                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 14, 2007
                          I thought that if we submit our records to Ancestry that anyone
                          (once they have a free trial subscription or paid one) could access
                          and use the info. I've actually seen a couple of family tree files
                          that state not to use their files without permission first, which I
                          thought was odd. Why submit it if you don't want people to use it.
                          Others you can only access if you get the permission of the
                          submitter to access it, thru Ancestry

                          You're right though, we do the work on these trees and then they
                          make money by selling the product. With one site they actually said
                          they view the trees they submit for possible mistakes, such as age
                          difference between parent and child isnt right and it'll take them 2-
                          3 months to do this. If there are too many errors they may not
                          accept and publish the family tree

                          As for free programs, I use the www.familysearch.org website a fair
                          amount. The social security death index is free as well. I use
                          www.interment.net for cemetery lookups at times. I've gone to a
                          local LDS Family History Center to obtain certificate copies and am
                          planning on going to SLC maybe this year too to obtain more
                          information.

                          Most of these companies do make money off of the work we're looking
                          for

                          Suzanne

                          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Phil D'Antona"
                          <phil.dantona@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Karen,
                          >
                          > Good point. I'm curious -- how many members have taken advantage
                          of
                          > some of the great "open-source" (i.e. free and non-copyrighted)
                          > genealogy programs out there?
                          >
                          > I know there are a few -- some more popular than others -- but I
                          > haven't had a chance to try all of them.
                          >
                          > Anyone have any feedback?
                          >
                          > -- Phil D'Antona
                          >
                          > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Karen Minnemeyer
                          > <kamiki1@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Just a note of caution to anyone using Ancestry.com or Family
                          Tree
                          > Maker as their genealogy program. Do not find out the hard way,
                          as I
                          > did a few years ago - once you have uploaded the information you
                          have
                          > input on your research that information becomes the property of
                          > Ancestry. It can be used on their various searches which require
                          > subscription and even included on CD's which they then sell. In
                          the
                          > case of Family Tree Maker, after having a computer problem
                          (actually
                          > a Family Tree Maker program problem) I needed to retrieve the
                          > information that I had submitted and was unable to do so unless I
                          > paid a fee. My hard research, given to them to use (and make
                          money
                          > from) was no longer mine and I would have had to pay to download
                          it.
                          > I immediately uninstalled Family Tree Maker and Ancestry's family
                          > tree program from my computer.
                          > >
                          > > I went with the free version of Legacy which I find to be easy
                          > use, with wonderful features. If I want my information to appear
                          on
                          > the web I use tribalpages.com. I have complete control of the
                          > information but it is also available to others who might be
                          > researching any of my surnames.
                          > >
                          > > Unless they have changed their policies in the last couple of
                          > years, I find this unacceptable use of my research information.
                          Just
                          > thought I would send out a word of caution.
                          > > Karen
                          > >

                          > > Karen E. Minnemeyer
                          > > kamiki1@

                        • Jon P Czarowitz
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 18, 2007
                            There are a number of good free to download programs out there and
                            Legacy is one of them. After reviewing several for our newsletter, I
                            suggest reading the Terms of Service CAREFULLY! We have started
                            getting people offering free programs with other intentions. I got
                            caught by one of those, but got out of it quickly enough. They had a
                            clause that the free programs were limited in number and that you
                            were joining a program of the month club. This was on the fifth
                            paragraph of the tenth page of the TOS so read all of it.
                            I like Legacy, but have gone with Rootsmagic as my favorite.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 18, 2007
                              Karen
                              Hope you got my off group email. Let me know if this works. Ancestry
                              is ok; so is world family tree, but should be used to make contacts,
                              not a storage location. Still these are good source for research
                              contacts if used with caution. I use them with a limited version of
                              my research to gain contacts of those with like surnames who want
                              more from me.

                            • Karenzstuff@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 18, 2007
                                I really appreciate the wonderful exchange of personal experiences that the
                                members have posted here. It is so helpful for all of us here! I have the
                                tendancy to look 'under' the freebie offers because there always seems to be a long
                                range reason for the offer. I've worked on Ancestry.com for a long time to
                                house my information & had the feeling that it was compiled & integrated for the
                                purpose of making money for them. It really irritates me with myself that I
                                didn't listen to my little voice saying you're messing up gf! lol!

                                Thanks to the exchange here I'm now working to make sure I have all my
                                information on hard copies (as I should've been doing all along). I've had the
                                experience of not being able to 'get into' my Ancestry.com 'free' account & I'm now
                                paying monthly to get my own info off the site & my Family Trees being in the
                                system there. I will say that the 'research' aspect has been a wealth of
                                information for me.

                                I'm still leary of other programs so I will be purchasing an independant or
                                personal program for the completed findings. I should've done this years ago!

                                Thanks for all the input! It has been awesome!
                                Karen Farrer

                              • Jon P Czarowitz
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 20, 2007
                                  Karen I suggest you try one of the free ones before you invest in
                                  another program. My preference is Rootsmagic, but Legacy has some
                                  good features too. Both are free downloads and have additional
                                  features and addons for sale.
                                  I got sold on Rootsmagic from a big writeup by a Collin County
                                  Genealogy Society member. She wrote a full page of RAVES about the
                                  features. The article sold me to try it myself since I had found
                                  problems with FTM in splitting families. I wanted a prg to put the
                                  members' trees of Clan Cunningham USA into one that I could split
                                  later if needed.
                                  One feature she didn't name was being able to put 2 trees on a screen
                                  with the ability to actually see the names and info without
                                  overlapping.
                                  I aught to get a commission from them with these 'flowers'I give the
                                  program.
                                  Anyway try the free ones first; then expand if needed.
                                  Jon

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 21, 2007
                                    Hi Jon!
                                    I hope you're having a sunny productive day today!
                                    lol.
                                    I just posted another email about RootsMagic....probably should've read thru
                                    my emails first huh! I found the split screen feature & you're right, It's
                                    wonderful to be able to view info that way. I was really surprised that it could
                                    do that. Very Handy!

                                    I've been surfing thru a lot of Freebie-Programs & your recommendation for
                                    Legacy or Roots Magic is showing to be the true-blue from the 'experienced' I
                                    plan on purchasing the Program later in the week.

                                    You should be getting some kind of commission from those folks over there! I
                                    agree whole heartedly.

                                    Your Help is Amazing!
                                    Thanks for taking the time to help others,
                                    Karen Farrer
                                    Pittsburg Texas USA

                                  • Darlene Buchanan
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 22, 2007
                                      Please note also that you may obtain PAF from the LDS site for free. It is a complete program and the church offers it to any and all. If you have any questions regarding it or how to use it contact the nearest Family History Center. The centers also have access to Ancestry.com with no charge to use. They are more than willing to help. It is not only for LDS members.
                                      Darlene