Re: Family History Library (Salt Lake City)

  • lotusloversau
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 8 5:46 PM
      Don't take too much advantage of the Family History Library.
      You will eventually get caught for scanning a whole book and copying
      it onto CD. It isn't allowed.

      Taking a laptop into the library wasn't allowed at one time also,
      unless you were a genealogist and made a living from it. It used to
      bags in the locker, take the key, no pens and only pencils.
      CDs are a no go. Some things were stolen from the library.

      If you tried that over here, you would be asked to leave the library.
      Try not to take advantage of them.

      All I do is sit at my computer and get information from them. The
      only thing needed is having the database on the computer and keeping
      a tab open for familysearch.org and perhaps ancestry.com (full access
      to all databases)

      Don't take offence but do follow the rules.

      WARNING: Never take advantage of the Family History Library because
      you will only make things harder for other people.............

      Lin

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Knox"
      <tomknox2001@...> wrote:

      > Suzanne -
      >
      > I agree - definitely a great place to go -
      > I've been there three times so far. (from Milwaukee,WI)
      >
      > And DEFINITELY be organized before you go!
      > You don't HAVE to, because you can use the card catalogs and
      > computer indexes *at* the FHL, but your time in Salt Lake City
      > would be much better spent actually looking at films & books.
      > And any spare time in the FHL can be used for browsing and
      > "intuitive lookups" (some book that you see on the shelf that
      > looks like it MIGHT be useful or at least interesting.)
      >
      > Good idea to take a laptop if you have one -
      > there are datadrops and plug-ins all over the place.
      > My "regular load" was a (large) briefcase and my laptop case.
      > (Caution: lots of paper copies can get HEAVY!)
      >
      > A note regarding copying -
      > besides copiers ($), the FHL also has scanners (free!) that can
      > scan from microfilm/fiche or books/paper into computer files!
      > I scanned an entire (small) book this way and put it on CD
      > (I bought the blank CD at the library, but I'm sure that
      > you could take some blank ones along.)
      > WARNING: you will probably have to sign up for a time slot
      > on a scanner (a limited number of scanners), or take a chance
      > on somebody not using all or part of their scheduled time slot.
      > (I got lucky - just as I was going to sign up, a lady walked up
      > and said that she wasn't going to use her time slot!)
      >
      > I'm not sure about hotel rates, but I have seen ads in
      > the genealogy magazines about "genealogy packages" -
      > you could check into those.
      >
      > - Tom Knox IBSSG
      >

      > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Clark & Rita
      > Pederson" <pedj@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Suzanne:
      > >
      > > The family history center is a wonderful place. But before you go
      > get very organized! Using the computer go to there site (Family
      > Search.org) and find all the records that might apply to you.

      > > Rita
      > >
      > > _____

      Suzanne
      > > Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 6:43 PM
      > > To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      > > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Family History Library
      > >
      > > Has anyone gone to or visited the actual Family History Library
      in
      > Salt Lake City? I've been to one of our local Family History
      > Centers ...
      > >
      > > Thanks, Suzanne

    • Tom Knox
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 9 3:26 PM
        "lotusloversau" -

        No offence taken - but the rules for the FHL in Salt Lake City have
        either changed or they are different over here. (Note: local Family
        History Centers will have their own rules and guidelines.)

        Many people would have briefcases, napsacks, computer cases,
        floppies & CDs, CD-players/iPods w/ headsets, and multiple colored
        pens in the Family History Library in Salt Lake City - however, all
        with the caveat that you DON'T just walk away from your stuff to go
        get a soda or juice. And, of course, any copying (on either paper
        or CD/DVD) is subject to copyright laws (the book that I copied was
        over a century old and long out of print). Anyone copying or
        scanning a regular-size book would probably get a tap on the
        shoulder, but most likely because they are tying up a copier/scanner
        and there would be a waiting-line forming.

        And the key resource of the FHL is the SOURCE MATERIAL - books and
        microfilm and microfiche - that are not (yet) on the internet.
        Computers and internet resources you can use without going to Salt
        Lake City - like at a local Family History Center or local library.

        NOTE: The Family History Library is in the process of digitizing ALL
        of their books, microfilm and microfiche (subject to copyright
        laws) - however, this project is going to take many years to
        complete, and then more years to index all of that information.

        ALSO NOTE: Some of these digitized books are ALREADY available
        online through the Family History Library Catalog
        When you computer-search the "card catalog" for some name or place
        or title, and look at the reference "card", SOME entries will say
        "To view a digital version of this book click here"
        example: "The Alonzo Potter family"
        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.
        asp?display=titledetails&titleno=46603&disp=The+Alonzo+Potter+family
        http://tinyurl.com/2mh45m (gets to the same place)
        The "digital version" hotlink is to a PDF (or to a webpage that will
        link to the PDF), and these PDFs are text-searchable (at least for
        the PDFs that I've seen).

        And as a P.S. - use of the Family History Library is free;
        however, donations are ALWAYS gladly accepted to help them maintain
        and expand the collection - both money and copy-cards. (I put too
        much money on the copy-card, and it was far easier to leave the copy-
        card at the front desk for them, than to try to save the copy-card
        for my next trip to Salt Lake City.)

        - Tom Knox

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "lotusloversau" wrote:

        > Don't take too much advantage of the Family History Library.
        > You will eventually get caught for scanning a whole book and
        copying it onto CD. It isn't allowed.

        > Taking a laptop into the library wasn't allowed at one time also,
        > unless you were a genealogist and made a living from it. It used
        to bags in the locker, take the key, no pens and only pencils.
        > CDs are a no go. Some things were stolen from the library.
        >
        > If you tried that over here, you would be asked to leave the
        library. Try not to take advantage of them.

        > All I do is sit at my computer and get information from them. The
        only thing needed is having the database on the computer and keeping
        a tab open for familysearch.org and perhaps ancestry.com (full
        access to all databases)

        > Don't take offence but do follow the rules.
        >
        > WARNING: Never take advantage of the Family History Library
        because you will only make things harder for other
        people.............

        > Lin
      • lotusloversau
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 10 12:45 AM
          Hi,

          I'm glad that you didn't take offence because none was intended.

          Americans are extremely lucky when it comes to Family History and
          even the Family History Libraries in the states.
          You most likely have more databases that you can access and visit.
          Try and save up to go to the USA from downunder. We are oceans apart.

          My brother-in-law has been to Salt Lake City, where he looked up many
          names. I believe that they may be allowed to do certain things there
          but not in Australia.
          Here t is no pens and only pencils and don't take your bag in. Use
          the locker. People have taken micro fiche out of FHLs before and
          even the State Library is really strict. You don't know how lucky
          you are. We are really restricted down here.

          I wish that I could go to Salt Lake City but can't afford it.
          Oh yeah. CD and laptops are still a no go down here. There was only
          one genealogist down in Melbourne (Victoria) that managed to convince
          the people to let her bring it nto the FHL.
          It may be free but I can access more information that they have not
          got yet.

          I only go there to look up certain records but I find that I have
          access to more records than what they have. We must have a shortage
          of information. We have to pay to see a lot of records in Australia
          and it's not easy. If I need to order a film then I will do so from
          the FHL but that is about it.

          I can only rely on the Internet now. I have gone a long way back
          into my family history and the databases are usually ones that you
          have to pay for.
          Some relatives are helping. They went to England and looked up
          information that hasn't been filmed yet.

          While I think of it, if anyone has Ridgway in the family history,
          there is a big mistake about Anthony Ridgway son of Tristram
          Ridgway. So many people think that they are descended (sp) from
          Anthony and that's the mistake (I made the mistake also). That
          Anthony died when he was very young.
          The proper lineage is Anthony Ridgway or Ridyard who is the son of
          Thomas Ridyard alias Ridgway.
          It's on Ancestry.com. Some people like to go with Tristram as the
          father and the others decided to go with Thomas. Thomas Ridyard is
          the correct father.

          Oops! I typed another thesis. Sorry about that.

          I am searching through American records right now and I found that
          the Cadd, Ridgway, Stuchberry, Wood, Orenshaw etc families went to
          America. Try follow the Orenshaw family. The spelling is too varied.

          You are so lucky!!

          Lin

          PS For some reason I have to answer messages using the group page.
          It won't let me send messages from hotmail.

          <tomknox2001@...> wrote:

          > "lotusloversau" -
          >
          > No offence taken - but the rules for the FHL in Salt Lake City have
          > either changed or they are different over here. (Note: local Family
          > History Centers will have their own rules and guidelines.)
          >
          > Many people would have briefcases, napsacks, computer cases,
          > floppies & CDs, CD-players/iPods w/ headsets, and multiple colored
          > pens in the Family History Library in Salt Lake City - however, all
          > with the caveat that you DON'T just walk away from your stuff to go
          > get a soda or juice. And, of course, any copying (on either paper
          > or CD/DVD) is subject to copyright laws (the book that I copied was
          > over a century old and long out of print). Anyone copying or
          > scanning a regular-size book would probably get a tap on the
          > shoulder, but most likely because they are tying up a
          copier/scanner
          > and there would be a waiting-line forming.
          >
          > And the key resource of the FHL is the SOURCE MATERIAL - books and
          > microfilm and microfiche - that are not (yet) on the internet.
          > Computers and internet resources you can use without going to Salt
          > Lake City - like at a local Family History Center or local library.
          >
          > NOTE: The Family History Library is in the process of digitizing
          ALL
          > of their books, microfilm and microfiche (subject to copyright
          > laws) - however, this project is going to take many years to
          > complete, and then more years to index all of that information.
          >
          > ALSO NOTE: Some of these digitized books are ALREADY available
          > online through the Family History Library Catalog
          > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
          > When you computer-search the "card catalog" for some name or place
          > or title, and look at the reference "card", SOME entries will say
          > "To view a digital version of this book click here"
          > example: "The Alonzo Potter family"

          http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.
          > asp?display=titledetails&titleno=46603&disp=The+Alonzo+Potter+family
          > http://tinyurl.com/2mh45m (gets to the same place)
          > The "digital version" hotlink is to a PDF (or to a webpage that
          will
          > link to the PDF), and these PDFs are text-searchable (at least for
          > the PDFs that I've seen).
          >
          > And as a P.S. - use of the Family History Library is free;
          > however, donations are ALWAYS gladly accepted to help them maintain
          > and expand the collection - both money and copy-cards. (I put too
          > much money on the copy-card, and it was far easier to leave the
          copy-
          > card at the front desk for them, than to try to save the copy-card
          > for my next trip to Salt Lake City.)
          >
          > - Tom Knox

        • Suzanne
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 10 7:28 AM
            Thanks for all the info Tom. Right now I'm on their website working
            on a family ancestry file. I put in as much information on my tree
            as possible, including extended families, their spouses and such,
            anything that is available online really. I also looking thru the
            library catalog for information I may want to view. So far I've
            found a few possible books that may help and some microfiche
            possibilities. And we know they'll have copies of some of the death
            certificates we're looking for.

            We alredy have access online to the familysearch site and ancestry,
            both Canada and the US. Based on their catalogs, it doesnt look like
            we may find much on our Ukrainian side. Which leaves the Scottish
            side and one other branch.

            My main concern about visiting the library now is my 4 year old son
            and how deal with him. Trying to get a small child to sit still for
            a period of time is hard, unless I bring a portable dvd player with a
            headset for him

            for those that have been to the FHL in SLC, how long were you there?
            Right now we're planning on spending possibly 4 half days there or
            two to three full days, not sure yet.

            thanks, Suzanne