Family History Library

  • Suzanne
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 6, 2007
      Has anyone gone to or visited the actual Family History Library in Salt
      Lake City? I've been to one of our local Family History Centers as
      only certain ones have certain records but mainly just state items such
      as death certificates

      Originally I was thinking about going on a road trip to Admaston,
      Ontario, Canada since that's where my family settled after arriving
      from Scotland. But the trip is too long. And flying is even more
      expensive. So that's when we thought of the idea of going to Salt Lake
      City's Family History Library instead.

      From what I've read on it, it's suppose to represent countries from the
      United States, Canada, the British Isles, Asia, Europe and Africa with
      the library being on a total of 5 floors. It's only a one day road
      trip from the Tri-Cities in SE Washington state where my sister lives.
      I'm just wondering if some of the records I have to pay to view or cant
      find would be easier to access there. Especially records like Eastern
      Europe or old Scottish records

      Thanks, Suzanne
    • Clark & Rita Pederson
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 7, 2007
        Suzanne:

        The family history center is a wonderful place. But before you go get very
        organized! Using the computer go to there site (Family Search.org) and
        find all the records that might apply to you.

        Print out all those possibilities and then you will have an idea of
        everything you need to look at. You do not have to pay to look at any of
        their micro film or books. They have people who will answer your questions
        and assist you in your search (not do it for you but give you assistance).
        On the International floor they usually have people who speak a number of
        languages and can be very helpful.

        If you are organized the sheer size of the library and the task will not
        overwhelm you. Prioritize what you want to do and go for it. They are open
        many hours a day almost more than you can stand to work. You just buy a
        copy card and you are off on your adventure.

        Rita

        _____

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 7, 2007
          Suzanne -

          I agree - definitely a great place to go -
          I've been there three times so far. (from Milwaukee,WI)

          And DEFINITELY be organized before you go!
          You don't HAVE to, because you can use the card catalogs and
          computer indexes *at* the FHL, but your time in Salt Lake City
          would be much better spent actually looking at films & books.
          And any spare time in the FHL can be used for browsing and
          "intuitive lookups" (some book that you see on the shelf that
          looks like it MIGHT be useful or at least interesting.)

          Good idea to take a laptop if you have one -
          there are datadrops and plug-ins all over the place.
          My "regular load" was a (large) briefcase and my laptop case.
          (Caution: lots of paper copies can get HEAVY!)

          A note regarding copying -
          besides copiers ($), the FHL also has scanners (free!) that can
          scan from microfilm/fiche or books/paper into computer files!
          I scanned an entire (small) book this way and put it on CD
          (I bought the blank CD at the library, but I'm sure that
          you could take some blank ones along.)
          WARNING: you will probably have to sign up for a time slot
          on a scanner (a limited number of scanners), or take a chance
          on somebody not using all or part of their scheduled time slot.
          (I got lucky - just as I was going to sign up, a lady walked up
          and said that she wasn't going to use her time slot!)

          I'm not sure about hotel rates, but I have seen ads in
          the genealogy magazines about "genealogy packages" -
          you could check into those.

          - Tom Knox IBSSG

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Clark & Rita
          Pederson" <pedj@...> wrote:

          > Suzanne:
          >
          > The family history center is a wonderful place. But before you go
          get very organized! Using the computer go to there site (Family
          Search.org) and find all the records that might apply to you.

          > Rita
          >
          > _____

        • lotusloversau
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 8, 2007
            Don't take too much advantage of the Family History Library.
            You will eventually get caught for scanning a whole book and copying
            it onto CD. It isn't allowed.

            Taking a laptop into the library wasn't allowed at one time also,
            unless you were a genealogist and made a living from it. It used to
            bags in the locker, take the key, no pens and only pencils.
            CDs are a no go. Some things were stolen from the library.

            If you tried that over here, you would be asked to leave the library.
            Try not to take advantage of them.

            All I do is sit at my computer and get information from them. The
            only thing needed is having the database on the computer and keeping
            a tab open for familysearch.org and perhaps ancestry.com (full access
            to all databases)

            Don't take offence but do follow the rules.

            WARNING: Never take advantage of the Family History Library because
            you will only make things harder for other people.............

            Lin

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Knox"
            <tomknox2001@...> wrote:

            > Suzanne -
            >
            > I agree - definitely a great place to go -
            > I've been there three times so far. (from Milwaukee,WI)
            >
            > And DEFINITELY be organized before you go!
            > You don't HAVE to, because you can use the card catalogs and
            > computer indexes *at* the FHL, but your time in Salt Lake City
            > would be much better spent actually looking at films & books.
            > And any spare time in the FHL can be used for browsing and
            > "intuitive lookups" (some book that you see on the shelf that
            > looks like it MIGHT be useful or at least interesting.)
            >
            > Good idea to take a laptop if you have one -
            > there are datadrops and plug-ins all over the place.
            > My "regular load" was a (large) briefcase and my laptop case.
            > (Caution: lots of paper copies can get HEAVY!)
            >
            > A note regarding copying -
            > besides copiers ($), the FHL also has scanners (free!) that can
            > scan from microfilm/fiche or books/paper into computer files!
            > I scanned an entire (small) book this way and put it on CD
            > (I bought the blank CD at the library, but I'm sure that
            > you could take some blank ones along.)
            > WARNING: you will probably have to sign up for a time slot
            > on a scanner (a limited number of scanners), or take a chance
            > on somebody not using all or part of their scheduled time slot.
            > (I got lucky - just as I was going to sign up, a lady walked up
            > and said that she wasn't going to use her time slot!)
            >
            > I'm not sure about hotel rates, but I have seen ads in
            > the genealogy magazines about "genealogy packages" -
            > you could check into those.
            >
            > - Tom Knox IBSSG
            >

            > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Clark & Rita
            > Pederson" <pedj@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Suzanne:
            > >
            > > The family history center is a wonderful place. But before you go
            > get very organized! Using the computer go to there site (Family
            > Search.org) and find all the records that might apply to you.

            > > Rita
            > >
            > > _____

          • Tom Knox
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 9, 2007
              "lotusloversau" -

              No offence taken - but the rules for the FHL in Salt Lake City have
              either changed or they are different over here. (Note: local Family
              History Centers will have their own rules and guidelines.)

              Many people would have briefcases, napsacks, computer cases,
              floppies & CDs, CD-players/iPods w/ headsets, and multiple colored
              pens in the Family History Library in Salt Lake City - however, all
              with the caveat that you DON'T just walk away from your stuff to go
              get a soda or juice. And, of course, any copying (on either paper
              or CD/DVD) is subject to copyright laws (the book that I copied was
              over a century old and long out of print). Anyone copying or
              scanning a regular-size book would probably get a tap on the
              shoulder, but most likely because they are tying up a copier/scanner
              and there would be a waiting-line forming.

              And the key resource of the FHL is the SOURCE MATERIAL - books and
              microfilm and microfiche - that are not (yet) on the internet.
              Computers and internet resources you can use without going to Salt
              Lake City - like at a local Family History Center or local library.

              NOTE: The Family History Library is in the process of digitizing ALL
              of their books, microfilm and microfiche (subject to copyright
              laws) - however, this project is going to take many years to
              complete, and then more years to index all of that information.

              ALSO NOTE: Some of these digitized books are ALREADY available
              online through the Family History Library Catalog
              When you computer-search the "card catalog" for some name or place
              or title, and look at the reference "card", SOME entries will say
              "To view a digital version of this book click here"
              example: "The Alonzo Potter family"
              http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.
              asp?display=titledetails&titleno=46603&disp=The+Alonzo+Potter+family
              http://tinyurl.com/2mh45m (gets to the same place)
              The "digital version" hotlink is to a PDF (or to a webpage that will
              link to the PDF), and these PDFs are text-searchable (at least for
              the PDFs that I've seen).

              And as a P.S. - use of the Family History Library is free;
              however, donations are ALWAYS gladly accepted to help them maintain
              and expand the collection - both money and copy-cards. (I put too
              much money on the copy-card, and it was far easier to leave the copy-
              card at the front desk for them, than to try to save the copy-card
              for my next trip to Salt Lake City.)

              - Tom Knox

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "lotusloversau" wrote:

              > Don't take too much advantage of the Family History Library.
              > You will eventually get caught for scanning a whole book and
              copying it onto CD. It isn't allowed.

              > Taking a laptop into the library wasn't allowed at one time also,
              > unless you were a genealogist and made a living from it. It used
              to bags in the locker, take the key, no pens and only pencils.
              > CDs are a no go. Some things were stolen from the library.
              >
              > If you tried that over here, you would be asked to leave the
              library. Try not to take advantage of them.

              > All I do is sit at my computer and get information from them. The
              only thing needed is having the database on the computer and keeping
              a tab open for familysearch.org and perhaps ancestry.com (full
              access to all databases)

              > Don't take offence but do follow the rules.
              >
              > WARNING: Never take advantage of the Family History Library
              because you will only make things harder for other
              people.............

              > Lin
            • lotusloversau
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 10, 2007
                Hi,

                I'm glad that you didn't take offence because none was intended.

                Americans are extremely lucky when it comes to Family History and
                even the Family History Libraries in the states.
                You most likely have more databases that you can access and visit.
                Try and save up to go to the USA from downunder. We are oceans apart.

                My brother-in-law has been to Salt Lake City, where he looked up many
                names. I believe that they may be allowed to do certain things there
                but not in Australia.
                Here t is no pens and only pencils and don't take your bag in. Use
                the locker. People have taken micro fiche out of FHLs before and
                even the State Library is really strict. You don't know how lucky
                you are. We are really restricted down here.

                I wish that I could go to Salt Lake City but can't afford it.
                Oh yeah. CD and laptops are still a no go down here. There was only
                one genealogist down in Melbourne (Victoria) that managed to convince
                the people to let her bring it nto the FHL.
                It may be free but I can access more information that they have not
                got yet.

                I only go there to look up certain records but I find that I have
                access to more records than what they have. We must have a shortage
                of information. We have to pay to see a lot of records in Australia
                and it's not easy. If I need to order a film then I will do so from
                the FHL but that is about it.

                I can only rely on the Internet now. I have gone a long way back
                into my family history and the databases are usually ones that you
                have to pay for.
                Some relatives are helping. They went to England and looked up
                information that hasn't been filmed yet.

                While I think of it, if anyone has Ridgway in the family history,
                there is a big mistake about Anthony Ridgway son of Tristram
                Ridgway. So many people think that they are descended (sp) from
                Anthony and that's the mistake (I made the mistake also). That
                Anthony died when he was very young.
                The proper lineage is Anthony Ridgway or Ridyard who is the son of
                Thomas Ridyard alias Ridgway.
                It's on Ancestry.com. Some people like to go with Tristram as the
                father and the others decided to go with Thomas. Thomas Ridyard is
                the correct father.

                Oops! I typed another thesis. Sorry about that.

                I am searching through American records right now and I found that
                the Cadd, Ridgway, Stuchberry, Wood, Orenshaw etc families went to
                America. Try follow the Orenshaw family. The spelling is too varied.

                You are so lucky!!

                Lin

                PS For some reason I have to answer messages using the group page.
                It won't let me send messages from hotmail.

                <tomknox2001@...> wrote:

                > "lotusloversau" -
                >
                > No offence taken - but the rules for the FHL in Salt Lake City have
                > either changed or they are different over here. (Note: local Family
                > History Centers will have their own rules and guidelines.)
                >
                > Many people would have briefcases, napsacks, computer cases,
                > floppies & CDs, CD-players/iPods w/ headsets, and multiple colored
                > pens in the Family History Library in Salt Lake City - however, all
                > with the caveat that you DON'T just walk away from your stuff to go
                > get a soda or juice. And, of course, any copying (on either paper
                > or CD/DVD) is subject to copyright laws (the book that I copied was
                > over a century old and long out of print). Anyone copying or
                > scanning a regular-size book would probably get a tap on the
                > shoulder, but most likely because they are tying up a
                copier/scanner
                > and there would be a waiting-line forming.
                >
                > And the key resource of the FHL is the SOURCE MATERIAL - books and
                > microfilm and microfiche - that are not (yet) on the internet.
                > Computers and internet resources you can use without going to Salt
                > Lake City - like at a local Family History Center or local library.
                >
                > NOTE: The Family History Library is in the process of digitizing
                ALL
                > of their books, microfilm and microfiche (subject to copyright
                > laws) - however, this project is going to take many years to
                > complete, and then more years to index all of that information.
                >
                > ALSO NOTE: Some of these digitized books are ALREADY available
                > online through the Family History Library Catalog
                > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
                > When you computer-search the "card catalog" for some name or place
                > or title, and look at the reference "card", SOME entries will say
                > "To view a digital version of this book click here"
                > example: "The Alonzo Potter family"

                http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.
                > asp?display=titledetails&titleno=46603&disp=The+Alonzo+Potter+family
                > http://tinyurl.com/2mh45m (gets to the same place)
                > The "digital version" hotlink is to a PDF (or to a webpage that
                will
                > link to the PDF), and these PDFs are text-searchable (at least for
                > the PDFs that I've seen).
                >
                > And as a P.S. - use of the Family History Library is free;
                > however, donations are ALWAYS gladly accepted to help them maintain
                > and expand the collection - both money and copy-cards. (I put too
                > much money on the copy-card, and it was far easier to leave the
                copy-
                > card at the front desk for them, than to try to save the copy-card
                > for my next trip to Salt Lake City.)
                >
                > - Tom Knox

              • Suzanne
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 10, 2007
                  Thanks for all the info Tom. Right now I'm on their website working
                  on a family ancestry file. I put in as much information on my tree
                  as possible, including extended families, their spouses and such,
                  anything that is available online really. I also looking thru the
                  library catalog for information I may want to view. So far I've
                  found a few possible books that may help and some microfiche
                  possibilities. And we know they'll have copies of some of the death
                  certificates we're looking for.

                  We alredy have access online to the familysearch site and ancestry,
                  both Canada and the US. Based on their catalogs, it doesnt look like
                  we may find much on our Ukrainian side. Which leaves the Scottish
                  side and one other branch.

                  My main concern about visiting the library now is my 4 year old son
                  and how deal with him. Trying to get a small child to sit still for
                  a period of time is hard, unless I bring a portable dvd player with a
                  headset for him

                  for those that have been to the FHL in SLC, how long were you there?
                  Right now we're planning on spending possibly 4 half days there or
                  two to three full days, not sure yet.

                  thanks, Suzanne