Re: Anyone with findmypast.com units or subscription?

  • Connie Mazerov
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2007
      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, jjjwis <no_reply@...>
      wrote:

      > Wouldn't 1891 be included in the free Ellis Island site? You don't
      > need a subscription to look it up there. You could get the ships
      name,
      > departure date and who he traveled with. Just a suggestion.
      > joanne
      >
      > > I was wondering if anyone could look something up for me on
      > > ancestorsonboard.com. There's an entry for Howard Walker, age 5,
      > > departed Liverpool in 1891, headed for New York. I'd like to
      find
      > out
      > > the ship name, the date it departed, and the names of people
      onboard
      > > with the same surname.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Zarah

      No, Ellis Island does not include 1891, the records do not begin
      until 1892. You might check Castle Garden records which are also
      free and http://www.stevemorse.org/ is the best way to look at all
      immigration records as he has a great search engine. There is also
      the Transcribers Immigration Ships Guild which is free and has ships
      records, passengers etc. by year, ship name, captains name, port of
      arrival and departure and is at http://www.immigrantships.net/.

      Connie
    • Debbie Oney
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 8, 2007
        Hi Zarah,
        Do you know for sure that he was headed for New York?
        Ellis Island (www.ellisisland.org) processed immigrants from 1892 -1954.. Castle Garden (www.castlegarden.org) processed immigrants from 1855 - 1890.
        Have you tried www.ancestry.com?

        Let me know how I can help.

        Debbie

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 8, 2007
          The info I gave was what I could get from the site without
          buying "credits." I'm not 100% sure it's the right Howard Walker, but
          the date, age, etc, is about right. I've had no luck with ancestry.com
          with this part of the family, nor with Ellis Island. I just checked
          Castle Garden (that's a new resource to me, thanks!), and no luck there
          either. Thanks, though!

          Zarah