RE: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Anyone with findmypast.com units or subscription?

  • Zarah Walker
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
      Yeah, I tried Ellis Island and couldn't find him. I'm wondering if it's
      because he was so young at the time. There is a Howard Walker that arrived
      in 1915 (he was 28 at the time), but the middle initial does not match the
      one I'm looking for and none of the other information seems to match either.

      Thanks for the suggestion, though!

      Zarah

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2007
        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, jjjwis <no_reply@...>
        wrote:

        > Wouldn't 1891 be included in the free Ellis Island site? You don't
        > need a subscription to look it up there. You could get the ships
        name,
        > departure date and who he traveled with. Just a suggestion.
        > joanne
        >
        > > I was wondering if anyone could look something up for me on
        > > ancestorsonboard.com. There's an entry for Howard Walker, age 5,
        > > departed Liverpool in 1891, headed for New York. I'd like to
        find
        > out
        > > the ship name, the date it departed, and the names of people
        onboard
        > > with the same surname.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > >
        > > Zarah

        No, Ellis Island does not include 1891, the records do not begin
        until 1892. You might check Castle Garden records which are also
        free and http://www.stevemorse.org/ is the best way to look at all
        immigration records as he has a great search engine. There is also
        the Transcribers Immigration Ships Guild which is free and has ships
        records, passengers etc. by year, ship name, captains name, port of
        arrival and departure and is at http://www.immigrantships.net/.

        Connie
      • Debbie Oney
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 8, 2007
          Hi Zarah,
          Do you know for sure that he was headed for New York?
          Ellis Island (www.ellisisland.org) processed immigrants from 1892 -1954.. Castle Garden (www.castlegarden.org) processed immigrants from 1855 - 1890.
          Have you tried www.ancestry.com?

          Let me know how I can help.

          Debbie

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 8, 2007
            The info I gave was what I could get from the site without
            buying "credits." I'm not 100% sure it's the right Howard Walker, but
            the date, age, etc, is about right. I've had no luck with ancestry.com
            with this part of the family, nor with Ellis Island. I just checked
            Castle Garden (that's a new resource to me, thanks!), and no luck there
            either. Thanks, though!

            Zarah