Re: Anyone with findmypast.com units or subscription?

  • jjjwis
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
      Wouldn't 1891 be included in the free Ellis Island site? You don't
      need a subscription to look it up there. You could get the ships name,
      departure date and who he traveled with. Just a suggestion.
      joanne

      > I was wondering if anyone could look something up for me on
      > ancestorsonboard.com. There's an entry for Howard Walker, age 5,
      > departed Liverpool in 1891, headed for New York. I'd like to find
      out
      > the ship name, the date it departed, and the names of people onboard
      > with the same surname.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Zarah

    • Zarah Walker
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
        Yeah, I tried Ellis Island and couldn't find him. I'm wondering if it's
        because he was so young at the time. There is a Howard Walker that arrived
        in 1915 (he was 28 at the time), but the middle initial does not match the
        one I'm looking for and none of the other information seems to match either.

        Thanks for the suggestion, though!

        Zarah

        Wouldn't 1891 be included in the free Ellis Island site? You don't
        need a subscription to look it up there. You could get the ships name,
        departure date and who he traveled with. Just a suggestion.
        joanne

        > I was wondering if anyone could look something up for me on
        > ancestorsonboard.com. There's an entry for Howard Walker, age 5,
        > departed Liverpool in 1891, headed for New York. I'd like to find
        out
        > the ship name, the date it departed, and the names of people onboard
        > with the same surname.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Zarah

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Connie Mazerov
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2007
          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, jjjwis <no_reply@...>
          wrote:

          > Wouldn't 1891 be included in the free Ellis Island site? You don't
          > need a subscription to look it up there. You could get the ships
          name,
          > departure date and who he traveled with. Just a suggestion.
          > joanne
          >
          > > I was wondering if anyone could look something up for me on
          > > ancestorsonboard.com. There's an entry for Howard Walker, age 5,
          > > departed Liverpool in 1891, headed for New York. I'd like to
          find
          > out
          > > the ship name, the date it departed, and the names of people
          onboard
          > > with the same surname.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Zarah

          No, Ellis Island does not include 1891, the records do not begin
          until 1892. You might check Castle Garden records which are also
          free and http://www.stevemorse.org/ is the best way to look at all
          immigration records as he has a great search engine. There is also
          the Transcribers Immigration Ships Guild which is free and has ships
          records, passengers etc. by year, ship name, captains name, port of
          arrival and departure and is at http://www.immigrantships.net/.

          Connie
        • Debbie Oney
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 8, 2007
            Hi Zarah,
            Do you know for sure that he was headed for New York?
            Ellis Island (www.ellisisland.org) processed immigrants from 1892 -1954.. Castle Garden (www.castlegarden.org) processed immigrants from 1855 - 1890.
            Have you tried www.ancestry.com?

            Let me know how I can help.

            Debbie

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 8, 2007
              The info I gave was what I could get from the site without
              buying "credits." I'm not 100% sure it's the right Howard Walker, but
              the date, age, etc, is about right. I've had no luck with ancestry.com
              with this part of the family, nor with Ellis Island. I just checked
              Castle Garden (that's a new resource to me, thanks!), and no luck there
              either. Thanks, though!

              Zarah