Re: Justice Brick Wall, Help!

  • crazycandles83
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
      owww..i never even thought of that! i'm going to have to look into
      that. thanks for the suggestion!! :)

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "jbaconsr"
      <jbaconsr@...> wrote:

      > Here is a fair shot to get the information you need:
      > John H. Justice was in the L Company of the 40 IND INF.
      > He applied for an invalid pension on 5/25/1887 and his widow Mary
      E.
      > applied for a widows pension on 2/12/1907. The invalid pension
      > application number was 603527 Certificate number 406712
      > The widows pension application numer was 863382 and both were
      filed
      > in IND. Go to the NARA website and request the FULL record for
      these
      > applications. It should mention all sorts of witnesses who
      testified
      > on the behalf of the pensioner and his widow. Possibly even his
      > parents, but more likely his siblings. This will narrow down whos
      > family he is from.The cost is 37.00 and most of the time is well
      > worth the cost.

    • Tom Knox
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
        "crazycandles83" -

        On looking at the Pension Files, I read it as Company "I" of the
        40th Regiment of the Indiana Infantry, which would conveniently
        match this Civil War service record:

        American Civil War Soldiers (Ancestry.com)
        Name: John H Justice
        Residence: Covington, Indiana
        Enlistment Date: 21 December 1861
        Side Served: Union
        State Served: Indiana
        Unit Numbers: 591 591 591
        Service Record: Enlisted as a Private on 21 December 1861;
        Enlisted in Company I, 40th Infantry Regiment Indiana on 21 December
        1861. Reenlisted in Company I, 40th Infantry Regiment Indiana on 10
        January 1864; Mustered out Company I, 40th Infantry Regiment Indiana
        on 21 December 1865.

        NOTE: Covington is in Fountain County, Indiana;
        marriage record is 28 Dec 1873 in Boone County;
        Fountain County is one county west of Boone County
        (Montgomery County is in between);
        the 1880 census record is from Clinton County,
        which is the county immediately north of Boone County.
        http://www.ingenweb.net/ingen_county2.htm

        Best guess - I would hope to find John Henry Justice somewhere
        around or between Fountain County and Boone County in 1860 and 1870.

        > Civil War Pension Index: General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934
        > http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
        htx=View&r=an&dbid=4654&iid=T288_251-0512

        - Tom Knox IBSSG

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "crazycandles83" wrote:

        > > i really need help breaking down this brick wall. i just got
        the marriage license for this person and i didn't have parent's
        names or anything on it so i don't know where to go from here.
        here's what i have...

        > > JOHN HENRY JUSTICE b. 11 Aug 1838 IN and d. 30 Dec 1906 IN or
        IL, he's buried in Paris, Edgar Co., IL. according to the 1880 US
        census his father was born in PA and his mother was born in IN, but
        i can't find there names. he m. 28 Dec 1873 MARY E WEBSTER b. 4 Jul
        1843 NC and d. 31 Jan 1911 IN or IL, she's buried in Paris, Edgar
        Co., IL. her father was ALBERT WEBSTER b. Abt 1806 NC and d. Bef
        1870 and her mother was AMY ? b. Abt 1806 NC

        > > they had 2 children:
        > >
        > > ALBERT LINDSEY JUSTICE b. 2 Jul 1876 Boone Co., IN and d. Aft 30
        > Jan
        > > 1920 Paris, Edgar Co., IL, he's buried in Paris, Edgar Co., IL.
        > he
        > > m. 16 Oct 1901 Paris, Edgar Co., IL STELLA V RYAN b. 11 Jun 1884
        > > Logan, Edgar Co., IL and d. Aft 1930 Paris, Edgar Co., IL. she
        > > remarried after Albert's death to WILLIAM FRANKLIN MULLEN. her
        > > father was GEORGE W RYAN b. Abt 1858 Edgar Co., IL and d. Abt
        1899
        > > Lookeba, Caddo Co., OK and her mother was MINNIE LURETTA
        TRAPHAGEN
        > > b.10 Mar 1865 Paris, Edgar Co., IL and d. 1 Jan 1946 Paris,
        Edgar
        > > Co., IL she remarried to HENRY SIMPSON after George's death.
        > >
        > > CORA A JUSTICE b. Abt 1879 IN and d. IN she m. Aft 1910 IN
        CHARLES
        > > HAMILTON
        > >
        > > please email me with any suggestions that might help me locate
        > John
        > > Henry's parents or how to find out what county he was born in so
        > > might be able to get a birth cert. or just anything that might
        > > help! this line is very important to me since it's my family
        > line.
        > > my email is crazycandles83@... thanks!!!!!!

      • crazycandles83
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 6, 2007
          thank you so much for that information! i'll add that to what i
          have and go from there. i'll look through census records for those
          counties and see what i can find also.
          again, thank you so much!!

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Knox"