Re: Justice Brick Wall, Help!

  • jbaconsr
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
      Here is a fair shot to get the information you need:
      John H. Justice was in the L Company of the 40 IND INF.
      He applied for an invalid pension on 5/25/1887 and his widow Mary E.
      applied for a widows pension on 2/12/1907. The invalid pension
      application number was 603527 Certificate number 406712
      The widows pension application numer was 863382 and both were filed
      in IND. Go to the NARA website and request the FULL record for these
      applications. It should mention all sorts of witnesses who testified
      on the behalf of the pensioner and his widow. Possibly even his
      parents, but more likely his siblings. This will narrow down whos
      family he is from.The cost is 37.00 and most of the time is well
      worth the cost.

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "crazycandles83"
      <crazycandles83@...> wrote:

      > i really need help breaking down this brick wall. i just got the
      > marriage license for this person and i didn't have parent's names
      or
      > anything on it so i don't know where to go from here. here's what
      > have...
      >
      > JOHN HENRY JUSTICE b. 11 Aug 1838 IN and d. 30 Dec 1906 IN or IL,
      > he's buried in Paris, Edgar Co., IL. according to the 1880 US
      > census his father was born in PA and his mother was born in IN,
      but
      > i can't find there names. he m. 28 Dec 1873 MARY E WEBSTER b. 4
      Jul
      > 1843 NC and d. 31 Jan 1911 IN or IL, she's buried in Paris, Edgar
      > Co., IL. her father was ALBERT WEBSTER b. Abt 1806 NC and d. Bef
      > 1870 and her mother was AMY ? b. Abt 1806 NC
      >
      > they had 2 children:
      >
      > ALBERT LINDSEY JUSTICE b. 2 Jul 1876 Boone Co., IN and d. Aft 30
      Jan
      > 1920 Paris, Edgar Co., IL, he's buried in Paris, Edgar Co., IL.
      he
      > m. 16 Oct 1901 Paris, Edgar Co., IL STELLA V RYAN b. 11 Jun 1884
      > Logan, Edgar Co., IL and d. Aft 1930 Paris, Edgar Co., IL. she
      > remarried after Albert's death to WILLIAM FRANKLIN MULLEN. her
      > father was GEORGE W RYAN b. Abt 1858 Edgar Co., IL and d. Abt 1899
      > Lookeba, Caddo Co., OK and her mother was MINNIE LURETTA TRAPHAGEN
      > b.10 Mar 1865 Paris, Edgar Co., IL and d. 1 Jan 1946 Paris, Edgar
      > Co., IL she remarried to HENRY SIMPSON after George's death.
      >
      > CORA A JUSTICE b. Abt 1879 IN and d. IN she m. Aft 1910 IN CHARLES
      > HAMILTON
      >
      > please email me with any suggestions that might help me locate
      John
      > Henry's parents or how to find out what county he was born in so i
      > might be able to get a birth cert. or just anything that might
      > help! this line is very important to me since it's my family
      line.
      > my email is crazycandles83@... thanks!!!!!!

    • crazycandles83
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
        owww..i never even thought of that! i'm going to have to look into
        that. thanks for the suggestion!! :)

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "jbaconsr"
        <jbaconsr@...> wrote:

        > Here is a fair shot to get the information you need:
        > John H. Justice was in the L Company of the 40 IND INF.
        > He applied for an invalid pension on 5/25/1887 and his widow Mary
        E.
        > applied for a widows pension on 2/12/1907. The invalid pension
        > application number was 603527 Certificate number 406712
        > The widows pension application numer was 863382 and both were
        filed
        > in IND. Go to the NARA website and request the FULL record for
        these
        > applications. It should mention all sorts of witnesses who
        testified
        > on the behalf of the pensioner and his widow. Possibly even his
        > parents, but more likely his siblings. This will narrow down whos
        > family he is from.The cost is 37.00 and most of the time is well
        > worth the cost.

      • Tom Knox
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
          "crazycandles83" -

          On looking at the Pension Files, I read it as Company "I" of the
          40th Regiment of the Indiana Infantry, which would conveniently
          match this Civil War service record:

          American Civil War Soldiers (Ancestry.com)
          Name: John H Justice
          Residence: Covington, Indiana
          Enlistment Date: 21 December 1861
          Side Served: Union
          State Served: Indiana
          Unit Numbers: 591 591 591
          Service Record: Enlisted as a Private on 21 December 1861;
          Enlisted in Company I, 40th Infantry Regiment Indiana on 21 December
          1861. Reenlisted in Company I, 40th Infantry Regiment Indiana on 10
          January 1864; Mustered out Company I, 40th Infantry Regiment Indiana
          on 21 December 1865.

          NOTE: Covington is in Fountain County, Indiana;
          marriage record is 28 Dec 1873 in Boone County;
          Fountain County is one county west of Boone County
          (Montgomery County is in between);
          the 1880 census record is from Clinton County,
          which is the county immediately north of Boone County.
          http://www.ingenweb.net/ingen_county2.htm

          Best guess - I would hope to find John Henry Justice somewhere
          around or between Fountain County and Boone County in 1860 and 1870.

          > Civil War Pension Index: General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934
          > http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
          htx=View&r=an&dbid=4654&iid=T288_251-0512

          - Tom Knox IBSSG

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "crazycandles83" wrote:

          > > i really need help breaking down this brick wall. i just got
          the marriage license for this person and i didn't have parent's
          names or anything on it so i don't know where to go from here.
          here's what i have...

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 6, 2007
            thank you so much for that information! i'll add that to what i
            have and go from there. i'll look through census records for those
            counties and see what i can find also.
            again, thank you so much!!

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Knox"