Justice Brick Wall, Help!

  • crazycandles83
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 30, 2007
      i really need help breaking down this brick wall. i just got the
      marriage license for this person and i didn't have parent's names or
      anything on it so i don't know where to go from here. here's what i
      have...

      JOHN HENRY JUSTICE b. 11 Aug 1838 IN and d. 30 Dec 1906 IN or IL,
      he's buried in Paris, Edgar Co., IL. according to the 1880 US
      census his father was born in PA and his mother was born in IN, but
      i can't find there names. he m. 28 Dec 1873 MARY E WEBSTER b. 4 Jul
      1843 NC and d. 31 Jan 1911 IN or IL, she's buried in Paris, Edgar
      Co., IL. her father was ALBERT WEBSTER b. Abt 1806 NC and d. Bef
      1870 and her mother was AMY ? b. Abt 1806 NC

      they had 2 children:

      ALBERT LINDSEY JUSTICE b. 2 Jul 1876 Boone Co., IN and d. Aft 30 Jan
      1920 Paris, Edgar Co., IL, he's buried in Paris, Edgar Co., IL. he
      m. 16 Oct 1901 Paris, Edgar Co., IL STELLA V RYAN b. 11 Jun 1884
      Logan, Edgar Co., IL and d. Aft 1930 Paris, Edgar Co., IL. she
      remarried after Albert's death to WILLIAM FRANKLIN MULLEN. her
      father was GEORGE W RYAN b. Abt 1858 Edgar Co., IL and d. Abt 1899
      Lookeba, Caddo Co., OK and her mother was MINNIE LURETTA TRAPHAGEN
      b.10 Mar 1865 Paris, Edgar Co., IL and d. 1 Jan 1946 Paris, Edgar
      Co., IL she remarried to HENRY SIMPSON after George's death.

      CORA A JUSTICE b. Abt 1879 IN and d. IN she m. Aft 1910 IN CHARLES
      HAMILTON

      please email me with any suggestions that might help me locate John
      Henry's parents or how to find out what county he was born in so i
      might be able to get a birth cert. or just anything that might
      help! this line is very important to me since it's my family line.
      my email is crazycandles83@... thanks!!!!!!
    • jbaconsr
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 30, 2007
        I believe this is them
        1850 IN Cass Clinton 34-32
        James Justice age 40 born PA
        Mary age 28 born IN
        Elizabeth age 19 (previous marriage?) IN
        Rosanna age 17 IN
        William age 14 IN
        Joseph age 13 IN
        James (John ?) age 11 UNK
        Clarissa age 9 Ukn
        Caroline age 7 UNK
        Joshua age 6 Unk
        Rosanna age 58 Unk
        Washington age 20 Unk

        1860 IN Cass Clinton 1444-1415
        James Justice age 51 PA
        Mary age 38 Magna Co, IN
        William age 24 Fayette Co
        Joseph age 23 Fayette
        James age 22 Fayette
        Joshua age 16 Cass co
        Jerome age 4 Cass
        Lurinda age 3 Cass
        Franklin age 2 Cass
        Parker age 1/12 Cass

        1870 IN Cass Clinton
        20-21
        James Justice age 61 PA
        Mary age 48 IN
        Jerome age 14 IN
        Laurinda age 13 IN
        Franklin age 12 IN
        Parker age 10 IN
        Milroy age 7 IN
        Porter age 23 IN

        Hope this helps. I have not been successful finding James (John) in
        1870 IN or elsewhwere. I'll dig more. I did find them in 1880.

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "crazycandles83"

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2007
          thanks! i'm just not sure cuz in the 1850 census it looks like John
          b. about 1838 (which would be right), but then in the 1860 census they
          have Joseph b. about 1838 or 1839 so i don't know. but i guess it
          must be since it's the only PA/IN combo i can find for parents right?
          that combo can't be too common in IN back in that time.??
          should i just go with that and try to find more concrete info on this
          family? i don't know what to do when i can't find concrete info. i'm
          new to this whole genealogy thing :) what's anyone's opinion?
        • jbaconsr
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
            Here is a fair shot to get the information you need:
            John H. Justice was in the L Company of the 40 IND INF.
            He applied for an invalid pension on 5/25/1887 and his widow Mary E.
            applied for a widows pension on 2/12/1907. The invalid pension
            application number was 603527 Certificate number 406712
            The widows pension application numer was 863382 and both were filed
            in IND. Go to the NARA website and request the FULL record for these
            applications. It should mention all sorts of witnesses who testified
            on the behalf of the pensioner and his widow. Possibly even his
            parents, but more likely his siblings. This will narrow down whos
            family he is from.The cost is 37.00 and most of the time is well
            worth the cost.

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
              owww..i never even thought of that! i'm going to have to look into
              that. thanks for the suggestion!! :)

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "jbaconsr"
              <jbaconsr@...> wrote:

              > Here is a fair shot to get the information you need:
              > John H. Justice was in the L Company of the 40 IND INF.
              > He applied for an invalid pension on 5/25/1887 and his widow Mary
              E.
              > applied for a widows pension on 2/12/1907. The invalid pension
              > application number was 603527 Certificate number 406712
              > The widows pension application numer was 863382 and both were
              filed
              > in IND. Go to the NARA website and request the FULL record for
              these
              > applications. It should mention all sorts of witnesses who
              testified
              > on the behalf of the pensioner and his widow. Possibly even his
              > parents, but more likely his siblings. This will narrow down whos
              > family he is from.The cost is 37.00 and most of the time is well
              > worth the cost.

            • Tom Knox
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
                "crazycandles83" -

                On looking at the Pension Files, I read it as Company "I" of the
                40th Regiment of the Indiana Infantry, which would conveniently
                match this Civil War service record:

                American Civil War Soldiers (Ancestry.com)
                Name: John H Justice
                Residence: Covington, Indiana
                Enlistment Date: 21 December 1861
                Side Served: Union
                State Served: Indiana
                Unit Numbers: 591 591 591
                Service Record: Enlisted as a Private on 21 December 1861;
                Enlisted in Company I, 40th Infantry Regiment Indiana on 21 December
                1861. Reenlisted in Company I, 40th Infantry Regiment Indiana on 10
                January 1864; Mustered out Company I, 40th Infantry Regiment Indiana
                on 21 December 1865.

                NOTE: Covington is in Fountain County, Indiana;
                marriage record is 28 Dec 1873 in Boone County;
                Fountain County is one county west of Boone County
                (Montgomery County is in between);
                the 1880 census record is from Clinton County,
                which is the county immediately north of Boone County.
                http://www.ingenweb.net/ingen_county2.htm

                Best guess - I would hope to find John Henry Justice somewhere
                around or between Fountain County and Boone County in 1860 and 1870.

                > Civil War Pension Index: General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934
                > http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
                htx=View&r=an&dbid=4654&iid=T288_251-0512

                - Tom Knox IBSSG

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 6, 2007
                  thank you so much for that information! i'll add that to what i
                  have and go from there. i'll look through census records for those
                  counties and see what i can find also.
                  again, thank you so much!!

                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Knox"