9889Re: William Henry BOWERS b.1873

  • Tom Knox
    Nov 15, 2006
      > ... William Henry Bowers born 1873 Portland USA told a tale
      > to his grandchildren (my distant cousin through Walter)
      > that he was born in a covered wagon on the plains
      > and when he came back to England with his father ...

      Hmmm, yes, well, okay (LOL!) -
      I wouldn't want to call "William Henry Bowers" a liar exactly, but I
      think that he was definitely stretching the truth - if he was born
      in Portland, CT, USA (the state of Connecticut in the region of New
      England of the United States) (the location of the 1870 census of
      Walter & Mary Bowers), then he definitely was NOT "born in a covered
      wagon on the plains"! Connecticut is a LONG ways away from the Great
      Plains of the United States (over 1,000 miles away!), and
      Connecticut is a small state that would not be described as
      having "plains" at all! It sounds like he may have been confusing
      the location of Portland, Connecticut, on the EAST coast of America
      with Portland, Oregon, which is 3,000 miles away on the WEST coast
      of America, on the other side of the Great Plains! Or William may
      have simply been repeating stories told to HIM by his father Walter -
      after all, William H was no older than age 3 when he went back to
      England with his father Walter before 1877!
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut
      state of Connecticut - 70 miles wide by 110 miles long

      Noting the 1881 census with Thomas age 4 born England, then Walter
      Bowers must have returned to England before 1877. That time period
      (after William's birth in 1873 and before Walter's return to England
      before 1877) DOES give time for the possibility that Walter & Mary
      and infant William H *MAY HAVE* attempted a trip west in a covered
      wagon (With no clue of what happened to Alfred T). And if the Bowers
      family did attempt such a trip, then Mary and Alfred Bowers could be
      buried almost anywhere in the United States. However - I would still
      suggest looking near Portland, Connecticut, as the first possibility.

      This reminds me of someone I was helping with their genealogy (in
      Wisconsin, USA) - she INSISTED that her grandfather (deceased) was
      an immigrant from Germany and born in Berlin - after some digging,
      documentation showed that he was really second-generation American
      (of German ancestry) born in BERLIN, WISCONSIN (the "immigrant" part
      she must have assumed after originally assuming that her grandfather
      was born in BERLIN, GERMANY.)

      - Tom Knox IBSSG

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "glen" <glenfagan@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Mr Tom Knox,
      > and thankyou for all your efforts, you are spot on with all your
      > research, as Carly has helped with look ups too, now I do not know
      > why Mary Ann Bowers yes nee Haddock hasn't any immigration details
      > but I have their marriage cert they were married Halton Cheshire
      > England 30th Sept 1869 Mary ann Haddock (was illigitimate), but I
      > researched Alfred T Bowers birth myself and found that he was born
      > Alfred Thomas Haddock illigitimate and born Jan 1/4 1869 in
      Runcorn he was born almost 9 months before Walter and Mary Ann were
      married he may have been someone elses child and not Walters I have
      sent for his birth cert.
      > Yes Tom .....you are right, Walter second married a Margaret Pope
      in 1876 (cert) when he returned to England, William Henry Bowers
      born 1873 Portland USA told a tale to his grandchildren (my distant
      > cousin through Walter) that he was born in a covered wagon on the
      > plains and when he came back to England with his father they had
      to leave a child behind! sad tale, so did Mary Ann Bowers die? if so
      was it in child birth/ and Walter could not bring a baby back or did
      > Mary ann run off? and what happened to Alfred Thomas, well we will
      > never know I don't think, best regards for your help and interest,
      I will be letting you know if anything crops up
      > Glen.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic