9399Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Newbie with questions

  • Sandi
    Jul 5, 2006
      G. Grandpa was VERY Catholic, my Aunt tells me. He married a
      Protestant woman (my G. Grandma) but wouldn't associate with her
      family and while he agreed to let her raise the children Protestant -
      he had her baptised as a Catholic when she was in a diabetic coma
      and as soon as she died, he pulled the kids out of public school and
      enrolled them into Catholic school. Needless to say - his inlaws
      were furious.

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ron Lahav
      <shmendrik1812@...> wrote:

      > Hello Sandi,
      >
      > What you have written about your GGF tends to confirm
      > my earlier posting and also Jon's that he was not
      > Belgian by birth. If he had been Belgian it would have
      > cost him virtually nothing to get to Antwerp from
      > anywhere in Belgium, and even in the 1890s the train
      > trip would have taken less than ha;f a day. The fact
      > that he changed his name also leads me to believe that
      > he was of Eastern European origin, and in fact he may
      > well have been Jewish; many Jews when they arrived in
      > the New World changed their names to more American
      > sounding or at least less Jewish sounding ones. Some
      > Jews wished to bury their past in the New World and
      > chose completely non-Jewish names as well.
      >
      > Hope this helps.
      >
      > Ron in Geordieland
      >
      > > We are assuming that G. Grandpa sailed out of
      > > Antwerp - the family
      > > used their entire savings getting him to the port.
      > > My G.Grandfather
      > > literally came to America with the clothes on his
      > > back.

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic