9392Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Newbie with questions

  • Ron Lahav
    Jul 5, 2006
      Hello Sandi,

      What you have written about your GGF tends to confirm
      my earlier posting and also Jon's that he was not
      Belgian by birth. If he had been Belgian it would have
      cost him virtually nothing to get to Antwerp from
      anywhere in Belgium, and even in the 1890s the train
      trip would have taken less than ha;f a day. The fact
      that he changed his name also leads me to believe that
      he was of Eastern European origin, and in fact he may
      well have been Jewish; many Jews when they arrived in
      the New World changed their names to more American
      sounding or at least less Jewish sounding ones. Some
      Jews wished to bury their past in the New World and
      chose completely non-Jewish names as well.

      Hope this helps.

      Ron in Geordieland

      > We are assuming that G. Grandpa sailed out of
      > Antwerp - the family
      > used their entire savings getting him to the port.
      > My G.Grandfather
      > literally came to America with the clothes on his
      > back.

      Do You Yahoo!?