9390Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Newbie with questions

  • Sandi
    Jul 4, 2006
      We are assuming that G. Grandpa sailed out of Antwerp - the family
      used their entire savings getting him to the port. My G.Grandfather
      literally came to America with the clothes on his back.

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ron Lahav
      <shmendrik1812@...> wrote:

      > Hello Jon,
      >
      > You are quite correct in stating that Sandi's ancestor
      > may not have been Belgian but merely sailed from the
      > port of Antwerp. A lot of the smaller companies
      > engaged in the immigrant trade, not only to the US and
      > Canada but to Australia/New zealand, South Africa,
      > etc, operated from Antwerp as the costs and overheads
      > (e g Harbour dues, etc) were lower there than in many
      > other ports. Also mitigating against the fact that
      > your ancestor was Belgian is that both numerically and
      > proportionately speaking both communities of Belgians
      > made up the smallest European immigrant groups to the
      > US, although some Walloons emigrated to Michigan in a
      > group sometime during the 1840s. I would take issue
      > with you on claiming that the 1890s were turbulent
      > times in Europe. Times were indeed hard in Eastern
      > Europe, and also in Spain and southern Italy, but
      > Germany was undergoing an economic boom which led to a
      > significant decline in German emigration overall after
      > 1890.
      >
      > Ron in Geordieland
      >
      > > Don't give up on the relatives. Sometimes they are
      > > slow. See if you can
      > > find out where he came into this country and where
      > > he settled long
      > > enough to get his citizenship papers. If you find
      > > this application, it
      > > has a lot of needed info. Some older family member
      > > may even have the
      > > original paperwork. These papers will also tell you
      > > what country he
      > > actually came from. He may have just SAILED from a
      > > port in Belgium. Many
      > > countries were in turmoil at that time, both
      > > politics and religion were
      > > among factors for leaving.

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic