9389Re: Newbie with questions

  • Sandi
    Jul 4, 2006
      Grandpa's last name is Wackus and I can track him through Census
      records in 1920 and 1930. Great Grandpa's last name is listed as
      Wackus also, but in talking to my Aunt - I know that Wackus was not
      his name in Belgium, it was quite a bit longer and harder to spell.
      LOL! There is a possibilty that my Father (whom I will not speak to
      if the world was coming to an end) has the spelling of G. Grandpa's
      name and my Aunt is trying to find out and get that from him.

      I found out today that G.Grandpa did not come to the States as a
      passenger on a ship, he had to work stoking the ships furnace to pay
      his passage. I don't know if this will have any affect on where I
      would look for information once I get the proper spelling of his
      name.

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Rebecca Betz-Festa"
      <vct@...> wrote:

      > Hi Sandi:
      >
      > What was your Great-Grandfathers name and your Grandfathers name,
      and
      > what state did they live in? I'll see what I can find.
      >
      > Rebecca
      >

      > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Sandi"
      > <lavenderrott@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi! I am new to the group and new to Geneology.
      > >
      > > It all started with a search to discover what my Grandfather's
      > > military medals represent. (I know most of them but one is a
      unit
      > > insignia and I don't know which unit.) All I had was the medals
      > and
      > > Grandpa's name.
      > >
      > > Well, that was yesterday.
      > >
      > > Today I have enough information on Grandpa to send to the DOD
      and
      > > get his military records but in getting the information I ended
      up
      > > with more questions.
      > >
      > > My Great Grandfather immigrated from Belgium around 1890 and
      > > apparently changed his last name. So I am stuck!
      > >
      > > Of course, I e-mailed the appropriate family members who might
      have
      > > mre information (who are enjoyng the holiday weekend away from
      > their
      > > computers apparently)in hopes of finding out more. I have a
      > feeling
      > > I am still going to be stuck as I don't speak Dutch.
      > >
      > > I am open for any and all suggestions as to how to find out more
      > > about my Belgium heritage!

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic