9388Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Newbie with questions

  • Sandi
    Jul 4 5:11 PM
      Great Grandpa was Flemish. According to the 1930 Census, he spoke
      Dutch - so that was what I had to go by.

      I find I am learning somethng new all the time!

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ron Lahav
      <shmendrik1812@...> wrote:

      > Hello Sandi,
      >
      > Contrary to popular belief, while there is indeed a
      > country called Belgium there are no such people as
      > Belgians. The population is about equally divided
      > between the Flemish people, who speak a form of Dutch
      > (one of my Dutch friedns refers to Flemish as
      > Yorkshire Dutch) and the Walloons/Wallons, who speak
      > French, but a dialect which differes somewhat from
      > that spoken in Metropolitan France. There is a small
      > german population, and since 1970 there has been
      > increasingly large numbers of Africans from the former
      > Belgian colonies and also Muslims who have been
      > admitted as asylum-seekers. The thing to remember is
      > that for the 176 years that the flemish and Wallons
      > have lived within the same national borders they have
      > hated one another with a deep and unyielding passion.
      > The only thing which holds the country together is the
      > Royal Family, and they are ethnic Germans.
      >
      > In order to find out more about your ancestor you
      > first have to identify his ethnic heritage, You should
      > be able to get this from his Certificate of
      > Naturalisation. Once you have that then we can proceed
      > further.
      >
      > Hope this helps.
      >
      > Ron in Geordieland
      > --- Sandi <lavenderrott@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hi! I am new to the group and new to Geneology.
      > >
      > > It all started with a search to discover what my
      > > Grandfather's
      > > military medals represent. (I know most of them but
      > > one is a unit
      > > insignia and I don't know which unit.) All I had
      > > was the medals and
      > > Grandpa's name.
      > >
      > > Well, that was yesterday.
      > >
      > > Today I have enough information on Grandpa to send
      > > to the DOD and
      > > get his military records but in getting the
      > > information I ended up
      > > with more questions.
      > >
      > > My Great Grandfather immigrated from Belgium around
      > > 1890 and
      > > apparently changed his last name. So I am stuck!
      > >
      > > Of course, I e-mailed the appropriate family members
      > > who might have
      > > mre information (who are enjoyng the holiday weekend
      > > away from their
      > > computers apparently)in hopes of finding out more.
      > > I have a feeling
      > > I am still going to be stuck as I don't speak Dutch.
      > >
      > > I am open for any and all suggestions as to how to
      > > find out more
      > > about my Belgium heritage!

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic