      From: jonczar@...
      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 6:31 PM
      Subject: Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Writing a family history book

      In researching your book for printing, you can use either Family Tree Maker by Ancestry/MyFamily.com or
      the PAF program by LDS. I really suggest using both in their present format. FTM provides the best input format for the book (in my opinion), but lacks the ability to break up family lines into usable sections such as the various surnames. This feature was removed from the later versions so PAF is best for splitting families.
      FTM considers everyone as one big family. Use GEDCOM feature to move from FTM to PAF; split the family and use each segment in separate files and use a PAF GEDCOM into a smaller FTM file for easier handling.
      After completion of your work on each segment, recombine them as GEDCOMs into one big FTM file for book printing format.
      This takes time to do this in this way, but with smaller files, you can even store unused parts on removal disks for transport. I suggest a cd(R) backup on each segment periodically. CDR's are least expensive for this purpose and are least likely to be unreadable in the future.
      However if you change to some other form of storage, transfer all to that type also.