7876Re: I'm A New Member

  • jbaconsr
    Apr 5 3:07 PM
      To start a search you would need to know where the person was in
      1930. First (or nickname) and last name and spouses name.Approximate
      age in 1930 or birthyear. Colored or white.From there it's not
      terribly difficult to trace them back through the census.If the
      individual was born after 1930, your best bet is to send to the state
      or county office that has their birth certificate records.It's
      getting a bit expensive to obtain birth death and marriage
      certificates though. I'm thinking some of them are around 22 dollars
      and that only covers a three year period search. Or check the SSDI
      (free on line)if you know when and where they died and see when they
      were born.Also most area libraries have microfilm of the newspapers
      back to the early 1900's and some back into the late 1800's.You can
      check page by page for birth and death notices.
      The census' online are a good place to start though. If you want to
      send a little more information, I'm sure some of us would be more
      than glad to check the census' for you. Good luck with your search.

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dorez Douglas"
      <dorezd@c...> wrote:

      > Hello Everyone...
      >
      > I've been wanting to research my families history for a long time.
      > Not sure how to get started. I came across your group and thought
      it
      > might be helpful.
      >
      > My parents are from Georgia and the Carolina states. My father and
      > his siblings have passed away. Only a few of my mother's sisters
      are
      > still living. On my mother's side, some research has been done by
      my
      > cousins. So, we have a little more info than on my father's side of
      > the family.
      >
      > At any rate... I hope to learn more about doing this kind of
      research.
      > Any ideas would be appreciated.
      >
      > Our last names are Roberson and Parker.
      >
      > I currenly live in Los Angeles with my husband and our grown
      daughter.

      > Thanks for letting me join and I look forward to meeting you all.
      >
      > - Dorez
      > http://www.career-in-film.com
      >
      > For modern, well-fitting
      > plus-sized clothing, go to: