6871Re: [Genealogy Research Club] free memberships

  • Kerri Harms
    Jul 31, 2003
      Thank you, Scott...this does help!

      Kerri

      Aliceann or Scott <carlton47@...> wrote:
      Kerri:

      There are lots of free sites out there ... some good, some not-so-good ...
      and some of the folks here on this list have provided links to many of them.
      Some of the "paid" (subscription) sites have free non-member access areas
      which can sometimes prove helpful.

      If you're going to research your family history -- particularly on-line --
      you will have to become very familiar with conducting on-line searches.
      This is a good place to start!

      Likewise, you don't mention the genealogy software you are using (intend to
      use?) ... if I may suggest Legacy? (http://www.legacyfamilytree.com ) They
      offer a free download of their version 4 which does a very good job of
      maintaining your results. (There is also a "DeLuxe" version which is very
      inexpensive compared to some of the other commercial programs out there.
      Actually all you get when you make the upgrade is an 'unlock' code to enter
      into your already-downloaded free version).

      Not certain this is what you had in mind when you asked your question ...
      but hope it is helpful nonetheless.

      Good luck...

      Scott Carlton