6641Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: How to trace my grandfather's family (Thanks, Norm)

  • Norm Vine
    Feb 5, 2003
      Your welcome Ann and good luck to you.
      Norm
      Ann <ann_on_line@...> wrote:
      Dear Norm,

      Thanks for the tip. I am planning a trip to the Shelby County Courthouse and Shelby County Public Library in order to look at and possibly copy all of the marriage licenses of the Stotts/Stott/Stot/Stots in the area under the assumption that they were actually related. Unfortunately, most of the births in Shelby County, Texas in "the good ole days" were at home at that time and many people never bothered to get birth certificates. My father never had a birth certificate himself. His Social Security was based on his school records. Unfortunately, the Courthouse burned so all that is left is copies of federal records. Even more unfortunately, my fathers' family lived in one of the "vanished communities" of San Augustine County, Texas--Old Sardis. Old Sardis stood on the line between San Augustine and Shelby counties. I know where it stood in the olden days. I am going to drive there and see what remains when I go to look at the marriage records. While there, I will search for death records as well. Since the courthouse burned, I am not overly hopeful that the older records remain.

      I have also ran into a family rumor that my grandfather came to Texas with a brother named Jessie who married an African American woman while my grandfather married a Caucasion-looking self-proclaimed Black Dutch woman. All of my grandparents' children married Caucasions. I have found one Jesse Stott who was married in the 1900s in Shelby County, Texas. I am going to check this angle out also. It has been hinted that the racism and segregation that still exists in parts of East Texas today is the reason why my grandfather and his sons never discussed his family. Ironically, my father named my half-brother Jessie. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of research?

      Sincerely,

      Ann Stotts Nix

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT