6632Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Looking to go back further than My grandfather

  • Forrest G. Plumstead
    Feb 2, 2003
      Sorry to hear that. Here are two other suggestions.

      Family Search page from LDS has the 1881 Canadian Census:
      http://www.familysearch.org/ENG/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=census/se
      arch_census.asp

      This is a transcription and is searchable by Surname.

      The Canadian archives has the 1901 census:
      http://www.archives.ca/02/020122_e.html

      The Canadian archives also has a surname Head of Household Census from
      1871 which is searchable by surname at:
      http://www.archives.ca/02/02010803_e.html

      Hint: use the wild cards I just found my g-g grandfather under
      Plumbstead.

      I would also like to recommend two GEDCOM sharing websites

      www.mytrees.com Which is a membership site, but you can earn membership
      by submitting your GEDCOM and/or transcribing simple records.

      www.gencircle.com

      I hope this is enough to get you started if you come up empty on these
      let me know and I will see what other resources I have at hand although
      with www.ancestry.com and www.genealogy.com I think I have pulled my best
      tricks out of the bag already.

      Happy hunting!

      ><>Forrest Plumstead<><