5962Need info on murder trial

  • rmbottger
    Sep 30, 2001
      The July 22, 1872 edition of the Ouachita
      Telegraph contained the following item: �Mr. J.A. Veazey
      has been tried at Vermillionville for killing
      G.H.Cline, and was acquitted. It being clearly shown that he
      acted in self-defense.� No other information was given.
      The Lafayette Court Clerk states that no records
      exist prior to 1890. I have been unable to find any
      newspapers for Lafayette Parish or St. Martin Parish for
      that time period. If anybody has information about
      this trial or suggestions about how I can find out
      about this trial, I would appreciate it.<br>I am
      researching Joachim Adolphe Veazey. He sometimes went by his
      middle name Adolphe. He was born January 1, 1817 in St.
      Martin Parish, Louisiana. His parents were Joshua Veazey
      and Elizabeth Bazinet. He married Marie Carmelite
      Broussard in 1842 in Lafayette Parish. She died in 1870. He
      was in the confederate army. His second wife was
      Marie Provist or Profist. I don�t know when he died. I
      hope someone out there can help me find info about Mr.
      Veazey.