15497RE: [Genealogy Research Club] Preserving old newspaper articles

  • Julie Rittacco
    Oct 23, 2012
      Hello, I have a lot of newspaper clipping 60 years plus old. I bought a laminator and laminated them. I am sure there are other methods out there, but that's what I did. Julie
      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      From: jfinner1@...
      Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 06:55:00 +0000
      Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Preserving old newspaper articles

      I just received quite a few newspaper articles from my grandmother pertaining to our family history; everything from retirement stories, my great-great grandparents 50th anniversary, and several articles about my great uncles death in a fire. However, I have several questions about these articles... First off, how do I incorporate newspaper clippings into my family history? I'm new to the whole thing, trying to fill in the pieces and pick up a project that my mother left half done 20 years ago. Second, how do I repair ripped articles? My grandmother literally handed me a bag, like a grocery store plastic bag, full of pictures and newspaper clippings. Some of the photographs were obviously pulled from albums, and a few still had tape on them. This mess of everything led to several of the articles being torn. And third, how do I better preserve them from this point on? I am, of course, making digital copies as soon as I get them all sorted, but I would like to preserve the actual clippings as well, only I have no idea how to insure that they do not get ruined farther.

      Thank you in advance. Like I said, I'm new to the whole genealogy scene, so any advice would be most welcome.