14775Re: New to Group and New to Genealogy

  • Bloodhound; Kermit
    Apr 6, 2011
      Besides RootsWeb and GenForum
      - http://RootsWeb.com - same as http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/
      - http://GenForum.com - same as http://genforum.genealogy.com/
      the last is the bulletin boards at Genealogy.com

      also check out U.S.GenWeb (according to state & county)
      http://www.USGenWeb.com
      and the bulletin boards at Ancestry.com (which are free)
      http://boards.ancestry.com/

      and you can't forget the HUGE resource of the LDS/Mormons at
      http://www.FamilySearch.org

      and the grandmother of all genealogy lists is Cyndi's List
      http://www.cyndislist.com/

      - Tom Knox

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Rose Lieberman" <lapis@...> wrote:

      > Hello. My name is Rose, I'm 63, I live in rural upstate New York.
      >
      > I'd like to research my roots but I don't know how to begin, since the route doesn't promise to be without potholes.
      >
      > My father, who I did not know, may have been adopted. The only information I have about him is his date and place of death.
      > My mother's side of things may be doable as far back as her grandmother and grandfather, but that's about it.
      >
      > I'm currently trying to get those dates and places of birth/death from one of my few living relatives. With the exception of my father, who's birth/place I do now know about, and my mother who was born in NJ, everyone else was born in southern Italy.
      >
      > So, in the event I can get these bits of info, how is it best to proceed?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Rose

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic