14650Re: Looking for Willis Sodan,Almeda Brown, Rena Sodan and Phobe Sodan in NY

  • Barbara
    Dec 31 2:27 PM

      I have a suggestion of something that worked very well, incredibly well for me when I was starting my research.

      That is, I used Google. I'd enter a search string in this manner:

      "genealogy/ Connecticut/ Jesse Dutton"

      or in another instance, I might use

      " full name of person/ born (and give date of birth)"

      That part enabled me to start saving bookmarks. I started some of these personal bookmarks, saving the folders for them as Gen.Dutton/ Gen.Udall/ Gen. Soule/ Gen.Penfield, and so on.

      After I had accumulated such information, I began to make index cards on which I'd write person's name, date of birth, place of birth, date of death, place of death, and (if known) father's name and mother's name. After that I began to add them to my family tree at Ancestry.com

      When I ran into a few stumbling blocks, I had the inspiration to attempt to learn if so-and-so had enlisted in the service during the Civil War. For that, I was able to use the Ancestry.com search quite easily.

      Hope this helps you to pursue your own searches.

      Barbara D. Brill
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic