      From: TinaS <tolksteel@...>
      Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: ellis island ?
      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, June 2, 2010, 11:37 AM

      Names are changed for many different reasons. Some who came to the US did change their names to be more American. They choose their own names. I know this because my husband's grandmother did this. I could find all of her records here in the US but could not find them in Holland. After talking to her, I finally found her birth record in Holland because I had her Dutch name. When my husband and I wanted to give our daughter a Dutch name, she became upset. She said she came to the US to be American and that we were to give our daughter an American name. Period.

      Others came to the US and had their names changed by the person who was recording the information. This could result from accents, lack of English language, pure laziness, or handwriting. Of course, there can be many more reasons. You must remember what Ellis Island was like. It is not like going through customs now.

      All females at the time had to be escorted. So they had to either be traveling with a male relative or be picked up by a male relative. They were horded through many passages like cattle after a long journey on the sea. There were seen by doctors to make sure they were not sick. They ran the risk of being turned away at the whim of people working there. Most just wanted to get through as fast as is possible so many felt hurt when names were changed but would never have spoken up in fear of being turned away. They had a dream of a better life her in America and just wanted to get started.

      Hope this helps in understanding that there are many reasons why names are changed.

      Tina