      From: Louise
      Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 12:00 PM
      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: ellis island ?

      My husband's grandparents all came through Ellis Island and their names were changed there..they, themselves, did not change them. The names were not totally changed, but had a letter eliminated or had the last two letters switched and it was done by the person who recorded it, NOT by the persons themselves. Oh, and they all spoke English well enough to have hurt feelings when this was done to their names, which all had meanings and they took pride in. Maybe you had to be there to know.