13445RE: [Genealogy Research Club] Road Block

  • joyce hambright
    Feb 10, 2010
      He probably changed his birthdate to go into the service a lot of guys did that.

      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      From: trachforwiggles@...
      Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 15:00:42 -0800
      Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Road Block

      George Lenard Allen and Lucy Louise Hart were married on 25 April 1916 and George Franklin Allen was born 23 December 1916. Both transpired in Josephine County, Oregon. George Lenard and Lucy Louise divorced shortly after his birth. I have a few theories of what happened, but will not go into to that now.

      Lucy Louise Hart Allen (going by Louise L Allen) and George F. Allen lived with her father, Charles F. Hart, in 1920 according to the census until she married Herbert J. Woodbury in November 1920. George F. Allen is the step son of Herbert J. Woodbury according to the 1930 census. In the 1920 census George F. Allen was 3 years and 1 month old. In the 1930 census he was 13. This coinsides with the birth date of December 1916.

      For some unknown reason George Franklin Allen changed his middle name to Francis and his birth date to 20 December 1915. His death certificate and military records show this different information. His birth certificate and the 1920 and 1930 census verify the correct information.

      Here is the information I am looking for:

      1. Why/when did George F. Allen change his middle name from Franklin to Francis and what documentations do I need to substantiate this change?

      2. Why/when did George F. Allen change his birth date from 23 Dec 1916 to 20 Dec 1915 and what documentations do I need to substantiate this change?

      3. Where should I go to find this information?

      Any assistance would be appreciated.

      Pamela Gray