13323RE:New Here

  • sue chilberg
    Dec 31, 2009
      Do you have a LDS church around you? A lot of them have a family research
      center that you can go to>You don't have to be a Mormon to go to them they
      are open to everyone and the volunteers there are very helpful.You can acess
      Ancestry,com and I believe footnote.com at them, also you can rent microfilm
      of records etc., that the church has copied. Also the LDS c hurch holds a
      twice yearly "genealogy conference" at a lot of the churches on a Saturday,
      They have a lot of different classes that you can attend from beginner to
      expert, again you don't have to be a church member to attend. Here in Idaho
      the fee is $9 for all day. I have been to them and have learned alot,I am
      not LDS. Go to:
      www.familysearch.org
      This is the website for the church, they have a search box that you can look
      and see if there is a family history library in your area. Also you can
      contact them and see if they have any genealogy conferences in your area.
      Also on the website check out the site map at bottom of page, there are
      articles on gettibg started atc. under research helps and library tabs there
      are also a lot of articles to help you get started.
      Also check out www.rootsweb.com
      and sign up for the Gen- Newbie list. There are a lot of helpful people on
      that list. and also at rootsweb there are name lists,state lists,city lists
      and boards.
      Good luck in your research.