      From: Jean S <realmomabear@...>
      Subject: Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Massachusettes archives
      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, September 28, 2009, 5:41 AM

      The SS-5 is the Application for Social Security Card form that everyone has to complete in order to get a social security number. It has lots of information in the ancestors handwriting.
      Unfortunatly the cost is $27 for a copy of the original form or $16 for something called a Numident(an abstract) printout. You'll have to complete the ssa-711 form from ssa (link is below), complete it and then send it in.

      The information about this can be found at http://ssa-custhelp .ssa.gov/ cgi-bin/ssa. cfg/php/enduser/ std_adp.php? p_faqid=118& p_created= 955556648& p_sid=t47LM59i& p_lva=&p_ sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmc F9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX 2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9NyZwX 3Byb2RzPSZwX2Nhd HM9MTA5LDIyJnBfc HY9JnBfY3Y9Mi4yM iZwX3NlYXJjaF90e XBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc 2VhcmNoX25sJnBfc GFnZT0x&p_ li=&p_topview= 1

      The SSA-711 can be found at http://www.socialse curity.gov/ online/ssa- 711.pdf

      Hope this helps,

      Jean