12545Re: Introduction

  • lbodonald
    Apr 20, 2009
      Hi Kimberly,

      If you haven't already done so, I suggest searching the City Directories on ancestry.com, since you mention that site. I'm pretty new to genealogy research but I have found some very interesting background information by searching the city directories where my Massachusetts ancestors lived. I found listings of what they did for work, and some info as to where they resided in terms of family clusters, which was surprising. It gives you year-by-year information on where they lived and what they did, and how that changed over time.

      I also suggest looking at rootsweb.com if you haven't looked at that part of ancestry.com (I think it's part of ancestry.com anyway). I found very different information on there, thanks to research other geneaologists did, from what I found at ancestry.com's main page.

      One other suggestion would be to check USgenweb.org -- that led me to search vital records for Massachusetts, none of which showed up at ancestry.com (the kind of thing that drives you crazy of you don't know why, which I don't!!). I found exact birth, death, and marriage listings -- of course, I'll have to go get or send for copies of them to see what they say -- between 1841 and 1910. Nothing's online for Massachusetts after 1910 yet, I found. Of course other states' vital records will be different; I found, for example, that I can't get vital records for Maine online and the info for before 1892 is scarce.

      Hope this helps.

      --Louise (Burnham) O'Donald