12319Re: My introduction to German genealogy

  • genealogynetworx
    Feb 14, 2009
      Wordgenweb.org is a great site, but the information in the
      German/Prussian province is limited. The site offers to post your
      surname research, but the email addy is bad.

      I am looking for an interpretation of a source indicated in a German
      family tree that cites "elections". What is this source, "elections"?

      Thanks for your help.

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Stedman"
      <tolksteel@...> wrote:

      > A very good source of information is Church records. They will date
      > further back than birth or death records. The only problem with
      > researching in Germany is that what information is available greatly
      > varies between the different states in Germany. Also there are many
      > gaps due to the loss of records because of all of the wars. Your
      > best bet is to visit http://www.worldgenweb.org (may be .com but I
      > don't think so). There you will need to click on Germany and then
      > the state you are researching. That website should be able to tell
      > you what information is available. A lot of church records are also
      > available on microfilm from the LDS. You can check their card
      > catalog to see if they have your German state and local church. Hope
      > this helps some. If you have more questions, just let us know.
      >
      > Tina Stedman
      > GRC Admin
      >

      > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "genealogynetworx"
      > <multiply_genealogy@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I became interested in my family genealogy after finding a letter
      > > addressed to my grandfather with a postmark from Germany. My
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic