12316Re: My introduction to German genealogy

  • Tina Stedman
    Feb 12, 2009
      A very good source of information is Church records. They will date
      further back than birth or death records. The only problem with
      researching in Germany is that what information is available greatly
      varies between the different states in Germany. Also there are many
      gaps due to the loss of records because of all of the wars. Your
      best bet is to visit http://www.worldgenweb.org (may be .com but I
      don't think so). There you will need to click on Germany and then
      the state you are researching. That website should be able to tell
      you what information is available. A lot of church records are also
      available on microfilm from the LDS. You can check their card
      catalog to see if they have your German state and local church. Hope
      this helps some. If you have more questions, just let us know.

      Tina Stedman
      GRC Admin

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "genealogynetworx"
      <multiply_genealogy@...> wrote:

      > I became interested in my family genealogy after finding a letter
      > addressed to my grandfather with a postmark from Germany. My
      > grandfather was researching our family tree and had found a living
      > relative in Germany. I have found a few distant cousins in Kansas
      who
      > also originated from Germany through message boards on Ancestry.
      >
      > I was lucky enough to find three more generations of my family tree
      on
      > line already with what looks like appropriate source information.
      >
      > What I would like to know concerns German genealogy research and the
      > types of sources available inside Germany - aside from birth and
      death
      > records and census - what can be considered a common primary source
      in
      > Germany?
      >
      > The genealogist who posted three earlier generations (now a total of
      > 10 generations) of my family tree cited his source of information
      as
      > "Elections". I need a better translation of what this means in
      > English, please.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic