11796RE: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Just joined - HELP!!! - Update regarding Family Search websites

  • mazerov
    Sep 6, 2008
      Mechelle,

      I haven't been following this thread completely but a quick look on Ancestry
      I found a couple of things - I am assuming you found the 1910 census in
      Louisville. I just entered Isadore and dropped the first name Edward and
      put in Isadore Levin birthdate 1900 Louisville, KY and came up with the tree
      with Samuel Levin and Fanny Kaplan and the 1910 census where Samuel is
      listed as Som L Levin and is Jewish and born in Russia. If this is him,
      then have you tried JewishGen?

      Connie

      _____

      From: Mary E. Conley <jonesfamily1952@ <mailto:jonesfamily1952%40yahoo.com>
      yahoo.com>
      regarding Family Search websites
      To: genealogyresearchcl <mailto:genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>
      ub@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, September 5, 2008, 7:10 PM

      Mechelle,

      The web sites shown below are FREE give them a try and see what you can
      find. Looks like you will have to copy and past the URL's, a small price to
      pay if you find information. Also have you tried www.Rootsweb. com or even
      doing a Google or Dogpile search for the names - I've found many free pages
      this way and with significant links that provide places to start.

      Good Luck, Mary

      From: Mary E. Conley <jonesfamily1952@ yahoo.com>
      regarding Family Search websites
      To: genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, September 2, 2008, 9:24 PM

      Actually there are

      1. New - currently members only, it is expected to be opened to everyone
      after worldwide rollout to members - website: https://new. familysearch.
      org/

      2. Original - anyone can access: http://www.familyse arch.org

      3. Labs - Current Projects - links to other sites: http://labs.
      familysearch. org/

      a. Record Search - records indexed by volunteers: http://pilot.
      familysearch. org

      b. Family Tree - share and collaborate family history - requires user name
      and password from NewFamilySearch: http://labs. familysearch.
      org/familytree/ #start

      c. Standard Finder: With Standard Finder you can search for a
      standardized name, date or place based on your input. The Standard Finder
      will present the standards that will be used in future releases of new
      FamilySearch. Come and try out your historical and current entries and
      understand how the system will interpret your input. Use filtered results to
      see what we think the best match would be or uncheck filtered results to see
      all the possible standards. Then send us feedback on how the system can do
      better. Added 27 Nov 2007. Find out more on the Labs blog : http://204.9.
      231.95/stdfinder /NameStandardLoo kup.jsp

      d. Research Wiki - FamilySearch Wiki is a large, on-line library where you
      can find thousands of articles and how-to instructions about doing family
      history. https://wiki. familysearch. org/en/Main_ Page

      e. Family Serch Indexing - Volunteers extract family history information
      from digital images of historical documents to create indexes that assist
      everyone in finding their ancestors: http://www.familyse archindexing. org

      Hope this helps everyone. Mary