11794[Genealogy Research Club] Re: Just joined - HELP!!! - Update regarding Family S

  • Tina Stedman
    Sep 6, 2008
      Don't give up! I had been searching for one particular line of my
      husband's family for about 5 years and couldn't find them. I knew
      they were there but no luck. Then one day I got a surprise email and
      there they were!!

      Another family side had been searching for a great grandfather that
      had abandoned the family. Just a random search found his death record
      in California. It led to cousins we never knew!!

      So don't give up. Eventually the answers will come!!

      Tina

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Mechelle Wallace
      <mechelle.wallace@...> wrote:

      > Thanks again Mary. Yes I have tried Rootsweb and World Connect, all
      the family trees
      > stop when they reach this person. I have used Heritage Quest to
      search the census.
      > I am just not ready to accept that I may never find this
      information. He was the first family member born in America (as far as
      I know), and I don't want his history to be lost.
      > I have reached the conclusion that the only way I might find some
      new info, is a
      > search of the Church records in PA. for his birth. There have been
      people before me that have tried and given up.

      > Mechelle

      Update regarding Family Search websites
      > To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: Friday, September 5, 2008, 7:10 PM
      >

      > Mechelle,
      >
      > The web sites shown below are FREE give them a try and see what you
      can find. Looks like you will have to copy and past the URL's, a
      small price to pay if you find information. Also have you tried
      www.Rootsweb. com or even doing a Google or Dogpile search for the
      names - I've found many free pages this way and with significant links
      that provide places to start.

      > Good Luck, Mary
      >
      > --- On Thu, 9/4/08, Mechelle Wallace <mechelle.wallace@ yahoo.com>
      wrote:

      > From: Mechelle Wallace <mechelle.wallace@ yahoo.com>
      > Subject: Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Just joined - HELP!!! -
      Update regarding Family Search websites
      > To: genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com
      > Date: Thursday, September 4, 2008, 10:21 AM
      >
      > Thank you for taking the time to post these. I have ran out of
      resources, and am still looking
      > at a wall. Unfortunately, I can't afford Ancestry right now.
      >
      > Mechelle

      everyone after worldwide rollout to members - website: https://new.
      familysearch. org/

      > 2. Original - anyone can access: http://www.familyse arch.org
      >
      > 3. Labs - Current Projects - links to other sites: http://labs.
      familysearch. org/

      > a. Record Search - records indexed by volunteers: http://pilot.
      familysearch. org

      > b. Family Tree - share and collaborate family history - requires
      user name and password from NewFamilySearch: http://labs.
      familysearch. org/familytree/ #start

      > c. Standard Finder: With Standard Finder you can search for a
      standardized name, date or place based on your input. The Standard
      Finder will present the standards that will be used in future releases
      of new FamilySearch. Come and try out your historical and current
      entries and understand how the system will interpret your input. Use
      filtered results to see what we think the best match would be or
      uncheck filtered results to see all the possible standards. Then send
      us feedback on how the system can do better. Added 27 Nov 2007. Find
      out more on the Labs blog : http://204.9. 231.95/stdfinder
      /NameStandardLoo kup.jsp

      > d. Research Wiki - FamilySearch Wiki is a large, on-line library
      where you can find thousands of articles and how-to instructions about
      doing family history. https://wiki. familysearch. org/en/Main_ Page

      > e. Family Serch Indexing - Volunteers extract family history
      information from digital images of historical documents to create
      indexes that assist everyone in finding their ancestors:
      http://www.familyse archindexing. org

      > Hope this helps everyone. Mary

      access, but it is just data others have