11564Re: [S]Chasteen - disappearing act

  • Tom Knox
    Jul 7, 2008
      Lisa -

      > 1930 South Gate, Los Angeles, CA
      > Stringer, James D/40:TX:TX:TX/driver
      > (), Mabel K/22:MO:IL:KS/wife
      > Chasteen, Estella/52:KS:IL:TN/M-in-law
      > Stringer, Herbert/36:TX:TX:TX/brother/barber

      How about this string of documents?
      Includes both Mable and Stella . . .

      1920 Pittsburg Ward 2, Crawford, Kansas
      Schasteen, Charles, head 45 married born IL:Germany:Germany
      - "Moulder, Foundry"
      (), Stella, wife 41 married born KS:IL:TN
      (), Charles H, son 14 born MO:IL:KS
      (), Mable C, daughter 12 born MO:IL:KS
      Zimmerman, Anna/roomer/37, Elizabeth/roomer/39

      1910 (Marion Twp) Carthage Ward 5, Jasper, MO
      (indexed as SCHASTEAN but could be read as SCHASTEEN)
      Schastean, Charles H, head 36 married.1 18 yrs born IL:unk:unk
      - Foundry Moulder
      (), Stella, wife 37?* married.1 18 yrs born KS:IL:TN
      - 9 children 5 living (all children marked as born MO:IL:KS)
      (), Frank L/son/17, Samuel M/son/19, John L/son/12, Charles H/son/5
      (), Mable C, daughter 2
      NOTES: * Stella indexed as age=37, but it looks like 33.

      1900 (Marion Twp) Carthage Ward 3, Jasper, Missouri
      Chastine, Charles H, head 26 married 8 yrs born Jan 1874 OH:OH:OH
      - "Moulder, Iron"
      (), Stella, wife 23 married 8 yrs born Mar 1877 KS:OH:IN
      - 3 children 3 living
      (), Frank, son 6 born July 1893 MO:OH:KS
      (), Sanborn, son 3 born Jan 1897 MO:OH:KS
      (), John, son 2 born Feb 1898 MO:OH:KS
      NOTE: Sanborn is probably Samuel M.

      Name: Frank Lybarger Schasteen
      City: Carthage, Jasper, Missouri
      Birthplace: Carthage, MO
      Birth Date: 24 Jul 1893
      married; machinist, Vogey Mine
      ==========
      Name: Sameul Montell Schasteen
      County: Jasper County, Missouri
      Birthplace: Carthage, MO
      Birth Date: 23 Jan 1896
      single; miner; 3 yrs previous military service (state)
      NOTE: is probably Samuel M.

      Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002
      Name: Frank L Schasteen
      Spouse Name: Jessie Kingsbury
      Marriage Date: 23 Dec 1916
      Marriage Location: Carthage, Jasper, Missouri
      Marriage County: Jasper

      Missouri National Guard, the Mexican Border, 1916
      Name: Samuel M. Schasteen
      Rank: Private
      COMPANY: Company G
      REGIMENT: Second Infantry
      Page #: 167
      Organized: Joplin

      California Death Index, 1940-1997
      Name: Estella L Schasteen
      Sex: FEMALE
      Birth Date: 13 Mar 1876
      Birthplace: Kansas
      Death Date: 8 Aug 1965
      Death Place: Kern
      Mother's Maiden Name: Swofford

      - Tom Knox IBSSG "Bloodhound"

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Keene
      <keenetrio@...> wrote:

      > It took some doing but it finally hit me that my grandmother's maiden
      name was not Chasteen.
      > Her name was Mabel K. Schasteen
      > and now things are a bit harder. Cannot find her on any census,before
      she married my grandfather.
      > I did find out that her mother's name was Estella, from the 1930
      census.
      > And I am hopeing the man I found was her father, Charles H. Schasteen.
      > Thank you for suggesting the misspelling!!
      > Lisa
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic