      From: Lisa Keene <keenetrio@...>
      Subject: Re: [Genealogy Research Club] disappearing act
      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, July 5, 2008, 9:47 PM

      It took some doing but it finally hit me that my grandmother' s maiden name was not Chasteen.

      Her name was Mabel K. Schasteen

      and now things are a bit harder. Cannot find her on any census,before she married my grandfather.

      I did find out that her mother's name was Estella, from the 1930 census.

      And I am hopeing the man I found was her father, Charles H. Schasteen.

      Thank you for suggesting the misspelling! !

      Date: Tuesday, June 10, 2008, 2:11 PM

      >How could 2 brothers disappear for 30 years?

      >I have both my grandfather and my great uncle on the 1900 census.

      >After that nothing, till 1930, when my grandfather- -James Daniel

      >Stringer & his brother show up. And my grandfather is married to my

      >grandmother Mable Chasteen,and living in California.

      >My grandfather & his brother were from Texas, my grandmother was from

      >Any advice??

      >Thank You

      Several possibilities: their names were misspelled or mis-transcribed

      in the census. Or they were moving around for work and weren't counted.

      I found them in the WWI draft registration - on June 17, 1917, they

      were farmers near Pavala, Fisher County, TX. James listed only

      himself as dependant; Herbert listed his grandmother. Not sure why

      they don't show up in the 1910 census, but I didn't look under

      grandmother' s name (probably the one shown in 1900 census).

      Have you looked for Mable Chasteen to see how many censuses she was

      in under her maiden name to narrow down the time of their

      marriage? Or maybe both families moved to CA where the marriage took place.

      Good luck.

      Checked by AVG.