11541Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Looking for Death record

  • michael wolcott
    Jul 2, 2008

      This may be a tedious suggestion, but you might try looking through the obituary column of the local newspaper - check to see if the newspaper may have been indexed by the local library and/or historical association.

      You can always do an interlibrary lending and hope that the newspaper placed obituaries in the same place in the newspaper - or hopefully, the newspaper has an index.

      Since there was a 2nd marriage - it might be helpful for you - if you don't know - find out when the second marriage occurred - in this way you know that she passed before the date of the 2nd marriage.

      Not everyone waited a year after a person passed in order to remarry.

      Another thought is that many places used to have what is called a city directory which would tell one about business, and where people lived, and some city directories indicated when a spouse had passed - in some instances, rarely though, the death date may be provided.  Usually the phrase "dec." [for deceased] would follow a name, or maybe
       d. [died or dead] or the phrase "wid." [for widow, widower] might also be used.  Some city directories came out yearly, others every few years.
      Check the local library or historical association to see if they have these city directories, or know where the old directories might be located (on microfilm).

      Lastly, could she have died in childbirth or soon after due to complications?  It certainly did happen quite often back then.  Again, check the local newspaper to see when the child was born how the mother was doing - generally, there are birth annoucements.

      Good Luck!

      Mike