10159Re: Family History Library (Salt Lake City)

  • Suzanne
    Feb 10 7:28 AM
      Thanks for all the info Tom. Right now I'm on their website working
      on a family ancestry file. I put in as much information on my tree
      as possible, including extended families, their spouses and such,
      anything that is available online really. I also looking thru the
      library catalog for information I may want to view. So far I've
      found a few possible books that may help and some microfiche
      possibilities. And we know they'll have copies of some of the death
      certificates we're looking for.

      We alredy have access online to the familysearch site and ancestry,
      both Canada and the US. Based on their catalogs, it doesnt look like
      we may find much on our Ukrainian side. Which leaves the Scottish
      side and one other branch.

      My main concern about visiting the library now is my 4 year old son
      and how deal with him. Trying to get a small child to sit still for
      a period of time is hard, unless I bring a portable dvd player with a
      headset for him

      for those that have been to the FHL in SLC, how long were you there?
      Right now we're planning on spending possibly 4 half days there or
      two to three full days, not sure yet.

      thanks, Suzanne

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Knox"
      <tomknox2001@...> wrote:

      > "lotusloversau" -
      >
      > No offence taken - but the rules for the FHL in Salt Lake City have
      > either changed or they are different over here. (Note: local Family
      > History Centers will have their own rules and guidelines.)
      >
      > Many people would have briefcases, napsacks, computer cases,
      > floppies & CDs, CD-players/iPods w/ headsets, and multiple colored
      > pens in the Family History Library in Salt Lake City - however, all
      > with the caveat that you DON'T just walk away from your stuff to go
      > get a soda or juice. And, of course, any copying (on either paper
      > or CD/DVD) is subject to copyright laws (the book that I copied was
      > over a century old and long out of print). Anyone copying or
      > scanning a regular-size book would probably get a tap on the
      > shoulder, but most likely because they are tying up a
      copier/scanner
      > and there would be a waiting-line forming.
      >
      > And the key resource of the FHL is the SOURCE MATERIAL - books and
      > microfilm and microfiche - that are not (yet) on the internet.
      > Computers and internet resources you can use without going to Salt
      > Lake City - like at a local Family History Center or local library.
      >
      > NOTE: The Family History Library is in the process of digitizing
      ALL

      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.
      > asp?display=titledetails&titleno=46603&disp=The+Alonzo+Potter+family
      > http://tinyurl.com/2mh45m (gets to the same place)
      > The "digital version" hotlink is to a PDF (or to a webpage that
      will
      > link to the PDF), and these PDFs are text-searchable (at least for
      > the PDFs that I've seen).
      >
      > And as a P.S. - use of the Family History Library is free;
      > however, donations are ALWAYS gladly accepted to help them maintain
      > and expand the collection - both money and copy-cards. (I put too
      > much money on the copy-card, and it was far easier to leave the
      copy-
      > card at the front desk for them, than to try to save the copy-card
      > for my next trip to Salt Lake City.)
      >
      > - Tom Knox
      >

      > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "lotusloversau" wrote:
      > >
      > > Don't take too much advantage of the Family History Library.
      > > You will eventually get caught for scanning a whole book and
      > copying it onto CD. It isn't allowed.
      > >
      > > Taking a laptop into the library wasn't allowed at one time also,
      > > unless you were a genealogist and made a living from it. It used
      > to bags in the locker, take the key, no pens and only pencils.
      > > CDs are a no go. Some things were stolen from the library.
      > >
      > > If you tried that over here, you would be asked to leave the
      > library. Try not to take advantage of them.
      > >
      > > All I do is sit at my computer and get information from them.
      The
      > only thing needed is having the database on the computer and
      keeping
      > a tab open for familysearch.org and perhaps ancestry.com (full
      > access to all databases)
      > >
      > > Don't take offence but do follow the rules.
      > >
      > > WARNING: Never take advantage of the Family History Library
      > because you will only make things harder for other
      > >
      > > Lin

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic