10157Re: Family History Library (Salt Lake City)

  • lotusloversau
    Feb 10 12:45 AM
      Hi,

      I'm glad that you didn't take offence because none was intended.

      Americans are extremely lucky when it comes to Family History and
      even the Family History Libraries in the states.
      You most likely have more databases that you can access and visit.
      Try and save up to go to the USA from downunder. We are oceans apart.

      My brother-in-law has been to Salt Lake City, where he looked up many
      names. I believe that they may be allowed to do certain things there
      but not in Australia.
      Here t is no pens and only pencils and don't take your bag in. Use
      the locker. People have taken micro fiche out of FHLs before and
      even the State Library is really strict. You don't know how lucky
      you are. We are really restricted down here.

      I wish that I could go to Salt Lake City but can't afford it.
      Oh yeah. CD and laptops are still a no go down here. There was only
      one genealogist down in Melbourne (Victoria) that managed to convince
      the people to let her bring it nto the FHL.
      It may be free but I can access more information that they have not
      got yet.

      I only go there to look up certain records but I find that I have
      access to more records than what they have. We must have a shortage
      of information. We have to pay to see a lot of records in Australia
      and it's not easy. If I need to order a film then I will do so from
      the FHL but that is about it.

      I can only rely on the Internet now. I have gone a long way back
      into my family history and the databases are usually ones that you
      have to pay for.
      Some relatives are helping. They went to England and looked up
      information that hasn't been filmed yet.

      While I think of it, if anyone has Ridgway in the family history,
      there is a big mistake about Anthony Ridgway son of Tristram
      Ridgway. So many people think that they are descended (sp) from
      Anthony and that's the mistake (I made the mistake also). That
      Anthony died when he was very young.
      The proper lineage is Anthony Ridgway or Ridyard who is the son of
      Thomas Ridyard alias Ridgway.
      It's on Ancestry.com. Some people like to go with Tristram as the
      father and the others decided to go with Thomas. Thomas Ridyard is
      the correct father.

      Oops! I typed another thesis. Sorry about that.

      I am searching through American records right now and I found that
      the Cadd, Ridgway, Stuchberry, Wood, Orenshaw etc families went to
      America. Try follow the Orenshaw family. The spelling is too varied.

      You are so lucky!!

      Lin

      PS For some reason I have to answer messages using the group page.
      It won't let me send messages from hotmail.

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Knox"
      <tomknox2001@...> wrote:

      > "lotusloversau" -
      >
      > No offence taken - but the rules for the FHL in Salt Lake City have
      > either changed or they are different over here. (Note: local Family
      > History Centers will have their own rules and guidelines.)
      >
      > Many people would have briefcases, napsacks, computer cases,
      > floppies & CDs, CD-players/iPods w/ headsets, and multiple colored
      > pens in the Family History Library in Salt Lake City - however, all
      > with the caveat that you DON'T just walk away from your stuff to go
      > get a soda or juice. And, of course, any copying (on either paper
      > or CD/DVD) is subject to copyright laws (the book that I copied was
      > over a century old and long out of print). Anyone copying or
      > scanning a regular-size book would probably get a tap on the
      > shoulder, but most likely because they are tying up a
      copier/scanner
      > and there would be a waiting-line forming.
      >
      > And the key resource of the FHL is the SOURCE MATERIAL - books and
      > microfilm and microfiche - that are not (yet) on the internet.
      > Computers and internet resources you can use without going to Salt
      > Lake City - like at a local Family History Center or local library.
      >
      > NOTE: The Family History Library is in the process of digitizing
      ALL

      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.
      > asp?display=titledetails&titleno=46603&disp=The+Alonzo+Potter+family
      > http://tinyurl.com/2mh45m (gets to the same place)
      > The "digital version" hotlink is to a PDF (or to a webpage that
      will
      > link to the PDF), and these PDFs are text-searchable (at least for
      > the PDFs that I've seen).
      >
      > And as a P.S. - use of the Family History Library is free;
      > however, donations are ALWAYS gladly accepted to help them maintain
      > and expand the collection - both money and copy-cards. (I put too
      > much money on the copy-card, and it was far easier to leave the
      copy-
      > card at the front desk for them, than to try to save the copy-card
      > for my next trip to Salt Lake City.)
      >
      > - Tom Knox

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic