10146Re: Family History Library (Salt Lake City)

  • lotusloversau
    Feb 8, 2007
      Don't take too much advantage of the Family History Library.
      You will eventually get caught for scanning a whole book and copying
      it onto CD. It isn't allowed.

      Taking a laptop into the library wasn't allowed at one time also,
      unless you were a genealogist and made a living from it. It used to
      bags in the locker, take the key, no pens and only pencils.
      CDs are a no go. Some things were stolen from the library.

      If you tried that over here, you would be asked to leave the library.
      Try not to take advantage of them.

      All I do is sit at my computer and get information from them. The
      only thing needed is having the database on the computer and keeping
      a tab open for familysearch.org and perhaps ancestry.com (full access
      to all databases)

      Don't take offence but do follow the rules.

      WARNING: Never take advantage of the Family History Library because
      you will only make things harder for other people.............

      Lin

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Knox"
      <tomknox2001@...> wrote:

      > Suzanne -
      >
      > I agree - definitely a great place to go -
      > I've been there three times so far. (from Milwaukee,WI)
      >
      > And DEFINITELY be organized before you go!
      > You don't HAVE to, because you can use the card catalogs and
      > computer indexes *at* the FHL, but your time in Salt Lake City
      > would be much better spent actually looking at films & books.
      > And any spare time in the FHL can be used for browsing and
      > "intuitive lookups" (some book that you see on the shelf that
      > looks like it MIGHT be useful or at least interesting.)
      >
      > Good idea to take a laptop if you have one -
      > there are datadrops and plug-ins all over the place.
      > My "regular load" was a (large) briefcase and my laptop case.
      > (Caution: lots of paper copies can get HEAVY!)
      >
      > A note regarding copying -
      > besides copiers ($), the FHL also has scanners (free!) that can
      > scan from microfilm/fiche or books/paper into computer files!
      > I scanned an entire (small) book this way and put it on CD
      > (I bought the blank CD at the library, but I'm sure that
      > you could take some blank ones along.)
      > WARNING: you will probably have to sign up for a time slot
      > on a scanner (a limited number of scanners), or take a chance
      > on somebody not using all or part of their scheduled time slot.
      > (I got lucky - just as I was going to sign up, a lady walked up
      > and said that she wasn't going to use her time slot!)
      >
      > I'm not sure about hotel rates, but I have seen ads in
      > the genealogy magazines about "genealogy packages" -
      > you could check into those.
      >
      > - Tom Knox IBSSG
      >

      > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Clark & Rita
      > Pederson" <pedj@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Suzanne:
      > >
      > > The family history center is a wonderful place. But before you go
      > get very organized! Using the computer go to there site (Family
      > Search.org) and find all the records that might apply to you.

      > > Rita
      > >
      > > _____

      Suzanne
      > > Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 6:43 PM
      > > To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      > > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Family History Library
      > >
      > > Has anyone gone to or visited the actual Family History Library
      in
      > Salt Lake City? I've been to one of our local Family History
      > Centers ...
      > >
      > > Thanks, Suzanne

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic