Virginia Taylors

  • exmedicrider
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12, 2009
      I am new to the group and was wondering if anyone is researching Taylors from Essex and Caroline Counties in Virginia.
    • Patricia ODriscoll
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13, 2009
        Regarding the names given - do you know that the Church of Latter Day Saints have an Archive going back many hundreds of year.  It may not be online but it is on Microfiche at one of their establishments/churches.  Perhaps you might I am not sure get census records at your local library.  Give them all a try.  I wish you all the luck in the world.
        I can be contacted directly at odriscolltricia@...
        Patricia

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 14, 2009
          Thanks Patricia. I have searched so many records and have a really hard time with my dead end because my family has so many common names, James, John, Mary, etc. I think I may need to check at one of the establishments to find more info. My Taylors are from Essex and Caroline County VA. Looking for James Zachary Taylor b:1855 in Virginia, possibly Caroline County, and married to Katherine Matilda Taylor b:1863. The family lived in Essex County Va from at least 1900. James died 1938 at Eastern State Hospital in Williamsburg,
          VA where he had been committed for several years. I have been unsuccessful in finding any records that would indicate his whereabouts prior to 1882. His death records list his parents as unknown. Marriage record Dec 1882 for James and Kate states that he was born in Caroline County VA but has his parents listed the same as Kate's. (John M Taylor and Mary Thomas). I think that this is a mistake. Any ideas on how to clear this up?

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 15, 2009
            Glad to have been of some assistance.  It could have happened that children were separated at birth as the parent(s) were unable to look after them.  Maybe they then met up in later years and unaware of their parental connection - no disrespect - some people were unable to read or write in those days, and they got married unaware of the parental relationship.  This may have happened for other reasons.  I think if you go into your library, or the records office and look through the census records you can with patience and plenty of time, find the connections you require.  Try the Church of Latter Day Saints as well, they have a multitude of records.
            Good Luck with your research
            Patricia