Looking for info. on Lugarda Sonobia (sp?) born approx. 1866 in Louisiana

  • katy_road_pink
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2009
      I'm having a diff. time finding any records about her. Well, I have found a couple, but nothing too significant... a couple of old census documents from Louisiana, where they have her name spelled either Lugada or Lugadra (I don't know for sure that her name was Lugarda... but it was on her son's death certificate, so I am assuming it is as it is on the cert.--Lugarda Sonobia). One census says she was born in Louisiana, and that her dad was from Spain and her mom was from Louisiana. The other says both parents are born in Louisiana.
      I know she was married to Leon Nicholas Henriques, who was born in the Philippine Islands. They had a son together, also named Leon Nicholas Henriques, who was born in Louisiana. They had other children as well.
      Does anyone have any possible info. on this person? How likely is it that perhaps her name was spelled wrong on her son's death certificate? Could it have been a similar last name, but spelled differently? I certainly can't seem to find much on Sonobia. One census I found said she could not read or write, so I wonder... perhaps she did not know the spelling of her surname? Perhaps whoever wrote up the death cert. spelled her name phonetically. Yeah, I know that sounds far out, but I don't know what else to think.
      Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
    • Laverne Bailey
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2009
        Have you tried a Trial Membership in www.ancestry.com ?  Laverne

[...]

      • Patricia ODriscoll
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2009
          Hi there,
          I have just been forwarded your email.  I would like to suggest, if you do not mind, that you contact the Church of Latter Day Saints as they have a considerable archive of Births Deaths and Marriages.  Just type it in to your browser window and you more than likely get some information that will help you.
          Goodbye and Good Luck
          Patricia

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3, 2009
            Katy_Road_Pink:
            Spelling names phonetically was very common.  Either the resident did not read or write, so the census taker put down what he thought was correct, or they didn't read and write very well.
            You need to play with the spelling of both first and last names, and when you put the name in for a google search, don't check the "exact spelling" box.  Some sites have boxes you can check if you want them to check for sounds like, phonetic, or exact.
            I have pretty good luck with family search.org, but the best I had was with Ancestry.com.  They have a 14 day free trial going on now.  You may want to try it.
            Good luck!

            Hugs,
            Patty

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 3, 2009
              Yes, I have found out that a lot of the census records have names misspelled. I wish I could help you, but is about all I know, except I did just join Ancestry.com and a friend I made on here said it was a good site, and also the Mormons. I hope everyone has a great weekend.
              Georgia W.

               There are moments when, whatever the position of the body, the soul is on its knees.