Re: Genealogy Sites

  • cute2482
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2009
      I have found about 5 or 6 of these sites. 1 of them was created by
      Ancestry.com. TribalPages is good. Rootsweb is so~so. I cant think of
      the others, but I'll post them later as well as any other sites I find.

      So far, I've gotten better results by searching names on the family
      tree on Yahoo & Google. Yeah it's a little more slow going but, I've
      found alot of information this way on my boyfriend's family & ancestors.

      Good hunting.

      ~ Bridget ~
    • Synaptic Freak
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2009
        If yer looking for current living people give www.zabasearch.com a try ....I have found several long lost cousins and distant family members....

        When it comes to Genealogy this is how I have found a lot of my information ....I find distant relatives, Identify myself, then start asking questions ...I have gotten tons of old documents, photographs, and other misc Items that were packed away in basements and attics....and in alot of cases, the people that were in posession of these types of family information had no idea what it was. All they knew was "Wow, this stuff looks old, I better keep it" or "This box of junk belonged to my grandmother's husband who dies 20 years ago, I have no idea whos in these pictures"..so they're packed away in an old box and put into storage never to be seen again.

        Its all about music, I call myself Top Quark.
        Music Page:
        http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=232115&content=music

        Personal Profile Page:
        http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=topquark

        Interesting stuff: Defenestration, Trepanation (Just imagine, a trepanic drill!!...lol), Synesthesia

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 16, 2009
          Are any of the paid genealogy archives stites good?  Or can I find the same info through the internet?   Also, were there death certificates issued in 1822?

          Thanks,
          Donna

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 16, 2009
            To answer your question regarding death certificates you'll have to find that out about the region in question.  I know, for instance, that Kansas didn't start issuing death certificates until 1910, about five years after my great-Grandfather died.  Talk about frustration.  Nobody can tell me how he died and my mother who suffers from Alzheimer's just recently suggested he was killed on the job -- he was my father's paternal grandfather (and Mom used to talk to her father-in-law regarding genealogy all the time which would be why she might know what killed Arthur) however, she never mentioned the reason until recently and because of her illness the information is now suspect in my mind.  (Arthur was a Section Foreman for the RR and Mom said he was hit by a train, too brutal to even contemplate, if you ask me, he was only in his forties) But I cannot find an obit or even a Death Certificate to confirm the cause of Death, so I'm hosed, as it
            were.  Nobody left alive who can say with authority, to my chagrin.

            ~april

            "I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 16, 2009
              What Railroad did your Great Grandfather work for?  I had a great great uncle who also worked on the railroad her in Texas but went to work in several states.

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 18, 2009
                That remains the persistent question.  Arthur was based out of Argentine, KS, and did a brief stint in WA where my grandfather was born.  But I cannot say definitively which RR he worked for.  So much would be answered, I believe, if I had that knowledge.