Re: Death of George Pace

  • genmen2
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 8, 2009
      A couple of "long shot" suggestions...

      findagrave.com has a a "Clarinda Mental Health Institute Cemetery"
      listed (http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?
      page=cr&CRid=1992569&CScnty=619&)

      Based on this you could write to the cemetery and see if anyone
      answers. I checked raogk.org and there are no volunteers in Page
      County. So, if you don't get a response from the cemetery, you
      could add George W. Pace to the findagrave.com site for this
      cemetery and then request a photo. If the volunteer that claims the
      request can't find the tombstone, you could then delete the record.
      I don't necessarily recommend this, but I actually took a picture
      for someone who wrote back that they had done exactly this...it
      worked for them.

      As a sidebar, the raogk.org site for Iowa has a volunteer for "I
      have a lot of information on Collins in Iowa 1860-1900 will check on
      this name." You have to make the request through the raogk.org
      site, but she might have some information on Emily Collins.

      Also, if you have a FHC near you, you could send for the
      microfilm "Clerk's record of deaths, 1880-1935" for Page County,
      Iowa. If he was 67 in 1925 (presuming the census record below is
      him), then he would be 77 in 1935. There's at least a reasonable
      chance he would be on this film. I'm not sure what death
      certificate information is available, but if you can lock down the
      date of death, you might be able to order the actual certificate.
      It would probably have more information on it.

      Martha

      --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, VM <vmrarity@...> wrote:

      > Hi, I went and did some digging based on the last post of George
      going 'insane' - first I noted the family was in northern Iowa, not
      too far from Wayne county where they had lived. Doing a general
      search in 1900 US Census I found a George W Pace at Iowa State
      Hospital for the Insane again this is not too far from where the
      family is in 1900 I followed this George W Pace until 1925...not
      sure is this is yours as their records show him born in Iowa and
      both parents also born there. By personal experience I know the
      hospital records are not always accurate - sometime no info was
      given by the family and sometimes they just gave false info so they
      would not have to pay or take responsibility and sometimes no
      records were kept at all until the census enumerator came and then
      assumptions were entered.

      > Anyway, here goes:
      >
      > 1900 US Census
      > Iowa, Page Co Sheet 3B
      > Iowa hospital for the Insane
      > George W Pace
      > White Male 42 single
      > Iowa, Iowa, Iowa
      >
      > no relation is listed on this census
      >

      > 1910 US Census
      > Iowa Page Co
      > Clarinda State Hospital (for the insane)
      >
      > Line 18
      > Pace, George W
      > Inmate
      > male white 53 (indexed as 23) Single
      > US (Iowa) US US
      >
      > 1915 Iowa State Census
      > George W Pace
      > Page county Clarinda
      > Card #39
      > insane age 58
      > occupation farmer
      > birthplace Iowa
      > both parents born Iowa
      > Clarinda Hospital
      >

      > 1920 US Census
      > Iowa, Taylor Co, Marshal Township Sheet 6B
      > Taylor County Home
      > Line 80
      > Inmate
      > 62 single
      > NS (none stated?) Indexed as Nova Scotia!
      >

      > 1925 Iowa State Census
      > Taylor, New Market Ia
      > Clarinda State Hospital
      > 67 white male single
      > b Iowa
      >

      > 1895 Iowa State Census
      > Iowa Hospital for Insane
      > Clarinda
      >
      > George W Pace
      > 38 Male White Single
      > farmer
      > Taylor county (listed under county, appears to be residence
      prior to admittance)

      > Taylor County Farm had cemetery, but no stones are present per
      Taylor County Genweb site, Page county does have a link to the
      state Hospital records

      > http://iagenweb.org/page/mhi/page1.htm
      >
      > Page and Taylor are adjacent counties on the Iowa/Missouri state
      line (same as Wayne county)

      > This might help you if you think this is your George
      >
      > I also have noted that often Indiana was abbreviated Ia on some
      records - this might be what happened and it was interpreted as Iowa

      > Good Luck on your search
      >
      > If you need any of these records let me know, these are from
      Ancestry

      > Judy in the Bitterroot

    • Janet
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 8, 2009
        OMG!

        I have Ancestry also and only one record came up for me. How weird.
        Thank you so much. If I have the correct parents; they were born in
        Indiana. I'm beginning to think this may not be my person. I wish
        there were better records from the hospital telling more about him.
        Thanks so much for all the info.
        Janet