Re: Death of George Pace

  • Spottedcow
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 6, 2009
      Thanks Gale,
      I have checked that website, found other family members there but no George.
      Janet

    • Spottedcow
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 6, 2009
        I have checked Find a grave and none of them seem to fit with correct dates or they have wrong wives or died in the wrong state. I have checked MO and KS records, even checked IN to see if he went back there.
        I just seem to draw a blank everywhere I check.
        Thanks
        Janet

      • genmen2
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 7, 2009
          I found a tree for George Pace on new.familysearch.org.

          It lists a George Pace or George W. Pace birth September 1860, Rock
          Creek, Bartholomew, Indiana. No death information listed. It lists
          the wife as Emily Evaline Collins with the marriage taking place on 6
          September 1882 in Wayne, Iowa. It lists Emily's date of birth as 26
          May 1860, Wayne, Iowa, United States and her death as 20 September
          1940 in Whittier, Los Angeles, California, United States with burial
          in September 1940, also in Whittier.

          No children listed. The site gives snail contact info for the
          submitter but no email address.

          To add confusion to the situation, there a different Emily Collins
          listed as being married to a Thomas Pace with son George.

          Hope this helps some :-)

          Martha

          --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "Janet"
          <right2me2003@...> wrote:

          > Hi Everyone,
          > I have been a member for some time, usually just reading and
          learning
          > from all of you. I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with my
          > problem.
          >
          > I have searched for info on the death of George Pace
          > Born: 1861 IN
          > Married: abt. 1883 in Wayne Co., IA to Emily Evalina Pace (Eva or
          E.E.)
          > In 1885 George and Eva are in Howard, Wayne Co., IA with son Johm
          M.
          > (who is never recorded on a census record again)on the Iwa State
          > Census 1836-1925.
          > By 1889 the family is in Trenton, Grundy Co., MO when son Calvin is
          > born. They are still in Trenton in 1892 for birth of son Carl and
          in
          > 1895 when daughter Bessie is born.
          > I could not find them on the 1900 census, but in 1910, Eva is
          listed
          > as widowed living at 703 College Ave, Trenton, Grundy Co., MO where
          > she has boarders and takes in laundry.
          > Some time between 1889 and 1910 George must have died.
          > Any help ar advise would be greatly appreciated.
          > Thank You
          > Have a great new year
          > Janet

        • genmen2
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 7, 2009
            Dear Janet,

            This looks like her on the 1930 census:

            1930 United States Federal Census
            about Emily Pace
            Name: Emily Pace
            Home in 1930: Whittier, Los Angeles, California
            Age: 69
            Estimated Birth Year: abt 1861
            Relation to Head of House: Mother
            Race: White
            Occupation:

            Education:

            Military service:

            Rent/home value:

            Age at first marriage:

            Household Members: Name Age
            Calvin W Pace 40
            Maggie E Pace 44
            Emily Pace 69

            Martha

            --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "genmen2"
            <menzelgen@...> wrote:

            > I found a tree for George Pace on new.familysearch.org.
            >
            > It lists a George Pace or George W. Pace birth September 1860, Rock
            > Creek, Bartholomew, Indiana. No death information listed. It
            lists
            > the wife as Emily Evaline Collins with the marriage taking place on
            6
            > September 1882 in Wayne, Iowa. It lists Emily's date of birth as
            26
            > May 1860, Wayne, Iowa, United States and her death as 20 September
            > 1940 in Whittier, Los Angeles, California, United States with
            burial
            > in September 1940, also in Whittier.
            >
            > No children listed. The site gives snail contact info for the
            > submitter but no email address.
            >
            > To add confusion to the situation, there a different Emily Collins
            > listed as being married to a Thomas Pace with son George.
            >
            > Hope this helps some :-)
            >
            > Martha
            >
            > --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "Janet"
            > <right2me2003@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Everyone,
            > > I have been a member for some time, usually just reading and
            > learning
            > > from all of you. I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with
            my
            > > problem.
            > >
            > > I have searched for info on the death of George Pace
            > > Born: 1861 IN
            > > Married: abt. 1883 in Wayne Co., IA to Emily Evalina Pace (Eva or
            > E.E.)
            > > In 1885 George and Eva are in Howard, Wayne Co., IA with son Johm
            > M.
            > > (who is never recorded on a census record again)on the Iwa State
            > > Census 1836-1925.
            > > By 1889 the family is in Trenton, Grundy Co., MO when son Calvin
            is
            > > born. They are still in Trenton in 1892 for birth of son Carl and
            > in
            > > 1895 when daughter Bessie is born.
            > > I could not find them on the 1900 census, but in 1910, Eva is
            > listed
            > > as widowed living at 703 College Ave, Trenton, Grundy Co., MO
            where
            > > she has boarders and takes in laundry.
            > > Some time between 1889 and 1910 George must have died.
            > > Any help ar advise would be greatly appreciated.
            > > Thank You
            > > Have a great new year
            > > Janet

          • genmen2
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 7, 2009
              Dear Janet,

              If this is the same Emily, then this would be her death information:

              California Death Index, 1940-1997
              about Emley E Pace
              Name: Emley E Pace
              [Emley E Collins]
              Social Security #: 0
              Sex: FEMALE
              Birth Date: 26 May 1860
              Birthplace: Iowa
              Death Date: 20 Sep 1940
              Death Place: Los Angeles
              FATHER'S SURNAME: Collins
              Source Citation: Place: Los Angeles; Date: 20 Sep 1940; Social
              Security: 0.
              Source Information: Ancestry.com. California Death Index, 1940-1997
              [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc.,
              2000. Original data: State of California. California Death Index,
              1940-1997. Sacramento, CA, USA: State of California Department of
              Health Services, Center for Health Statistics.

              If you could pull an obituary for her (maybe there's someone at
              raogk.org) then you might get more information about her husband and
              children.

              <menzelgen@...> wrote:

> [...]
              Johm
              > > M.
              > > > (who is never recorded on a census record again)on the Iwa
              State
              > > > Census 1836-1925.
              > > > By 1889 the family is in Trenton, Grundy Co., MO when son
              Calvin
              > is
              > > > born. They are still in Trenton in 1892 for birth of son Carl
              and
              > > in
              > > > 1895 when daughter Bessie is born.
              > > > I could not find them on the 1900 census, but in 1910, Eva is
              > > listed
              > > > as widowed living at 703 College Ave, Trenton, Grundy Co., MO
              > where
              > > > she has boarders and takes in laundry.
              > > > Some time between 1889 and 1910 George must have died.
              > > > Any help ar advise would be greatly appreciated.

            • genmen2
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 7, 2009
                I found them on the 1900 census. Eva is listed as a widow on this
                census. I can get you a full transcription if you want. They are
                on page 170A. Trenton Ward 4, Grundy, Missouri. This would
                somewhat narrow his possible death date. I got this by searching
                for Bessie in Grundy County.

                However, I found a posting on the internet from someone else that
                implied George went "insane". If this is the case, it's possible
                Eva just said "widowed" to avoid the stigma.

                I found three insane asylums in MO during that timeframe. My guess
                is the one in St. Joseph or St. Louis would have been the closest.
                But, I don't know how you can get at their records. I tried
                searching the 1900 census for first name Geo (sometimes George was
                recorded as Geo and this would get both spellings) born 1860 plus or
                minus one year and relationship was "patient" and didn't get any
                hits that were even close to Pace for a last name.

                Martha

                1900 United States Federal Census
                about Bessie Pace
                Name: Bessie Pace
                Home in 1900: Trenton Ward 4, Grundy, Missouri
                Age: 5
                Birth Date: Apr 1895
                Birthplace: Missouri
                Race: White
                Ethnicity: American
                Gender: Female
                Relationship to head-of-house: Daughter
                Father's Birthplace: Indiana
                Mother's Name: Eva
                Mother's Birthplace: Iowa
                Marital Status: Single
                Residence : Trenton City, Grundy, Missouri
                Occupation: View on Image
                Neighbors: View others on page
                Household Members: Name Age
                Eva Pace 40
                Jennie Pace 20
                May Pace 14
                Calvin Pace 11
                Carle Pace 8
                Bessie Pace 5

                <right2me2003@...> wrote:

                > Hi Everyone,
                > I have been a member for some time, usually just reading and
                learning
                > from all of you. I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with
                my
                > problem.
                >
                > I have searched for info on the death of George Pace
                > Born: 1861 IN
                > Married: abt. 1883 in Wayne Co., IA to Emily Evalina Pace (Eva or
                E.E.)
                > In 1885 George and Eva are in Howard, Wayne Co., IA with son Johm
                M.
                > (who is never recorded on a census record again)on the Iwa State
                > Census 1836-1925.
                > By 1889 the family is in Trenton, Grundy Co., MO when son Calvin
                is
                > born. They are still in Trenton in 1892 for birth of son Carl and
                in
                > 1895 when daughter Bessie is born.
                > I could not find them on the 1900 census, but in 1910, Eva is
                listed
                > as widowed living at 703 College Ave, Trenton, Grundy Co., MO
                where
                > she has boarders and takes in laundry.
                > Some time between 1889 and 1910 George must have died.
                > Any help ar advise would be greatly appreciated.
                > Thank You
                > Have a great new year
                > Janet

              • VM
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 8, 2009
                  Hi, I went and did some digging based on the last post of George going 'insane' - first I noted the family was in northern Iowa, not too far from Wayne county where they had lived. Doing a general search in 1900 US Census I found a George W Pace at Iowa State Hospital for the Insane again this is not too far from where the family is in 1900 I followed this George W Pace until 1925...not sure is this is yours as their records show him born in Iowa and both parents also born there. By personal experience I know the hospital records are not always accurate - sometime no info was given by the family and sometimes they just gave false info so they would not have to pay or take responsibility and sometimes no records were kept at all until the census enumerator came and then assumptions were entered.

                  Anyway, here goes:

                  1900 US Census
                  Iowa, Page Co Sheet 3B
                  Iowa hospital for the Insane
                  George W Pace
                  White Male 42 single
                  Iowa, Iowa, Iowa

                  no relation is listed on this census

                  1910 US Census
                  Iowa Page Co
                  Clarinda State Hospital (for the insane)

                  Line 18
                  Pace, George W
                  Inmate
                  male white 53 (indexed as 23) Single
                  US (Iowa) US US

                  1915 Iowa State Census
                  George W Pace
                  Page county Clarinda
                  Card #39
                  insane age 58
                  occupation farmer
                  birthplace Iowa
                  both parents born Iowa
                  Clarinda Hospital

                  1920 US Census
                  Iowa, Taylor Co, Marshal Township Sheet 6B
                  Taylor County Home
                  Line 80
                  Inmate
                  62 single
                  NS (none stated?) Indexed as Nova Scotia!

                  1925 Iowa State Census
                  Taylor, New Market Ia
                  Clarinda State Hospital
                  67 white male single
                  b Iowa

                  1895 Iowa State Census
                  Iowa Hospital for Insane
                  Clarinda

                  George W Pace
                  38 Male White Single
                  farmer
                  Taylor county (listed under county, appears to be residence prior to admittance)

                  Taylor County Farm had cemetery, but no stones are present per Taylor County Genweb site, Page county does have a link to the state Hospital records

                  http://iagenweb.org/page/mhi/page1.htm

                  Page and Taylor are adjacent counties on the Iowa/Missouri state line (same as Wayne county)

                  This might help you if you think this is your George

                  I also have noted that often Indiana was abbreviated Ia on some records - this might be what happened and it was interpreted as Iowa

                  Good Luck on your search

                  If you need any of these records let me know, these are from Ancestry

                  Judy in the Bitterroot

                • genmen2
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 8, 2009
                    Just as a clarification, the web site didn't offer any proof that he
                    had went insane, so I wouldn't take it as fact.

                    Based in this Iowa lead, I went to

                    http://iowawpagraves.org/index.php?cid=93

                    and checked Wayne and Page county for WPA tombstone transcriptions.
                    No luck. But, this transcription weren't always complete. I'm
                    missing a relative that the 1895 Iowa State Census for Wayne County
                    says he died in 1894 in Wayne County...I can't find his burial or
                    exact date of death anyplace.

                    Martha

                    --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, VM <vmrarity@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > Iowa Hospital for Insane
                    > Clarinda
                    >
                    > George W Pace
                    > 38 Male White Single
                    > farmer
                    > Taylor county (listed under county, appears to be residence
                    prior to admittance)

                    > Taylor County Farm had cemetery, but no stones are present per
                    Taylor County Genweb site, Page county does have a link to the
                    state Hospital records

                    > http://iagenweb.org/page/mhi/page1.htm
                    >
                    > Page and Taylor are adjacent counties on the Iowa/Missouri state
                    line (same as Wayne county)

                    > This might help you if you think this is your George
                    >
                    > I also have noted that often Indiana was abbreviated Ia on some
                    records - this might be what happened and it was interpreted as Iowa

                    > Good Luck on your search
                    >
                    > If you need any of these records let me know, these are from

                  • genmen2
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 8, 2009
                      A couple of "long shot" suggestions...

                      findagrave.com has a a "Clarinda Mental Health Institute Cemetery"
                      listed (http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?
                      page=cr&CRid=1992569&CScnty=619&)

                      Based on this you could write to the cemetery and see if anyone
                      answers. I checked raogk.org and there are no volunteers in Page
                      County. So, if you don't get a response from the cemetery, you
                      could add George W. Pace to the findagrave.com site for this
                      cemetery and then request a photo. If the volunteer that claims the
                      request can't find the tombstone, you could then delete the record.
                      I don't necessarily recommend this, but I actually took a picture
                      for someone who wrote back that they had done exactly this...it
                      worked for them.

                      As a sidebar, the raogk.org site for Iowa has a volunteer for "I
                      have a lot of information on Collins in Iowa 1860-1900 will check on
                      this name." You have to make the request through the raogk.org
                      site, but she might have some information on Emily Collins.

                      Also, if you have a FHC near you, you could send for the
                      microfilm "Clerk's record of deaths, 1880-1935" for Page County,
                      Iowa. If he was 67 in 1925 (presuming the census record below is
                      him), then he would be 77 in 1935. There's at least a reasonable
                      chance he would be on this film. I'm not sure what death
                      certificate information is available, but if you can lock down the
                      date of death, you might be able to order the actual certificate.
                      It would probably have more information on it.

                    • Janet
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 8, 2009
                        OMG!

                        I have Ancestry also and only one record came up for me. How weird.
                        Thank you so much. If I have the correct parents; they were born in
                        Indiana. I'm beginning to think this may not be my person. I wish
                        there were better records from the hospital telling more about him.
                        Thanks so much for all the info.
                        Janet