Re: [genchatfriends] Any good places to preserve & digitize old photo albums?

  • beaulah_2001us
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
      I am not sure if I have ever posted in here. I have had a lot of
      computer problems this year and a lot of life that keeps happening. So
      I read when I can.

      Well I read this and chuckled. My family have a photo album? ROFLMAO
      What photo album? I got a big box of pictures that are getting moldy
      due to where my parents are storing them and want to get the rest of
      them as soon as I can. But I need to get these into some sort of album
      just to get them in if for nothing else. I wish I had the photo album
      dilemma! LOL

      As a thought though and I do not know if this is feasible but, what
      about kinkos? I think they can do larger scanning but you would be
      scanning a whole page making a very large photo of the whole page. Or
      maybe they would have some ideas as to how you can do it better and
      cheaper and even faster than the traditional way we do at home. I have
      scanned the photos into my puter but then I didn't have a huge page to
      scan either since they are all just pictures in a box.

      By the way everyone since I dont know if I ever got around to
      introducing myself I will do so now.

      I am Sandy, I live in Oregon. Most of the names on my side of family
      are Schiewe, Montgomery, Paddock, Worden. The Schiewes came from
      Bessarabia Russia and were originally I believe from Germany. Least
      wise they spoke German and wrote German. They went through Prussia or
      Poland. The Paddocks and Wordens at some point came out of New York.
      My Great Grandfather did die in Virginia though on a hunting trip due
      to Pneumonia. The Montgomerys come from the Southern states, Oklahoma,
      Texas ect. It is believed that my grandpa was first or second
      generation here from abroad.

      My husbands side of the family are mostly Pokorny, Palanuk and there
      are 3 different spellings on that name Divis (Divish)and I am sure I
      will learn more soon. I have not had time to do anything this last two
      years. Both kids moved home, one moved back out, we lost an Uncle, our
      two fur girls Grace and Mocha all with in 10 months period of time.
      Our dogs are as close to us as was my Uncle. We found a cousin that
      has been missing for about 8 years. Long story there. But he is back
      with us and that is the important thing. And a grandchild that comes
      here every other weekend to see her dad who is still living with us.
      Outside of Genealogy, I quilt, read and fit in a few classes at the
      community college about an hour away from us. My husband had a very
      bad concusion this year and stents put in also several months later.
      So Just no time.

      I would like to join Ancestry at least for a year so I can get a lot
      of information from them. Then bow out for a year or so and get back
      in and see what is new. But I want my son out of this room and in his
      own appartment before I get into this project again as a serious project.

      Well for now that is it. I got to get going and go fix some grub for
      all of us now that son has gotten dishes done.
      Sandy
      Nice to meet everyone.

      > > All the other places say you have to take all the pictures out
      > first.
      > > Are they crazy? Those pictures are glued in behind plastic. Why
      > would
      > > anyone destroy their albums - in effect mixing everything up and
      > losing
      > > all the notes inside?
      > >
      > > Or maybe you have some more ideas about sharing albums. What do
      > people
      > > do with parents' albums after they pass on? Especially if they have
      > > dozens. You just split them up? I think scanning is a better idea;
      > just
      > > need a faster way to do it.
    • Mary Hellman
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
        Hi Sandy.  Welcome to the sight.  I see you are a fellow Oregonian!!  Wow you have a very busy life for sure. I tell you, I have had such an incredible time with genealogy.  Have been doing this for a year and a half now and having a ball.  Have met a couple of cousins I did not know of (several times removed) but hey, they are living relatives!!

        Mary

        ________________________________
> [...]

        own appartment before I get into this project again as a serious project.

        Well for now that is it. I got to get going and go fix some grub for
        all of us now that son has gotten dishes done.
        Sandy
        Nice to meet everyone.

        > > All the other places say you have to take all the pictures out
        > first.
        > > Are they crazy? Those pictures are glued in behind plastic. Why
        > would
        > > anyone destroy their albums - in effect mixing everything up and
        > losing
        > > all the notes inside?
        > >
        > > Or maybe you have some more ideas about sharing albums. What do
        > people
        > > do with parents' albums after they pass on? Especially if they have
        > > dozens. You just split them up? I think scanning is a better idea;

        __._,_..___
        Messages in this topic (7) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
        Messages | Links | Database | Polls | Members | Calendar
        Visit Mom's Library
        http://www.genealogychatfriends.org

        Recent Activity
        *  8
        New MembersVisit Your Group
        Give Back
        Yahoo! for Good
        Get inspired
        by a good cause.
        Y! Toolbar
        Get it Free!
        easy 1-click access
        to your groups.
        Yahoo! Groups
        Start a group
        in 3 easy steps.
        Connect with others..
        .

      • thewealth
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 6, 2008
          You need
          1. Digital camera
          2. Short legged tripod.
          Your camera store can help you with this.
          Store on line at places like flickr.com
          Hope that this helps.
          [ The lazy mans way for black and white]
          get a k7.net free online fax number.
          fax the b and w photo to yourself,
          save on your " computer"

          --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, Mary Hellman